15 storey block in The Cut

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
ali
Thursday 5 February 2004 8.57pm
Hi,
Has anyone else heard of the new 15 storey block going up adjoining Styles House in The Cut. I heard about this the other day quite by accident. Apparently, it has already been approved but as I live very near to this new development, and already have two major building sites going on opposite me, I am shocked that the council has failed to inform us local residents of their plans. Can anyone help me out and shed some light on this. Is it true or not.
Saturday 7 February 2004 8.59pm
Am I being stupid - is this the block being constructed on the site above Southwark tube station? I thought that it originally received consent for 14(?) floors of flats above the station at the time of the original planning consent.
Saturday 7 February 2004 9.02pm
No - I think Ali is talking about another block, right next to Styles House.

The proposal has been around for years - I don't know the current status of the project though.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 9 February 2004 11.15pm
Get something sorted - quickly - Southwark planning is notorious for not letting people know what is going on. Get in touch with them, ask if you can have a meet, get copies of the plans if needs be - and be quick. If you need any help, let me know - I fought and won single handed against a development in Waterloo Road. The council had failed to notify the local residents properly and had not notified our landlords at all. The council also failed to let us know when new plans had superceded old ones and I only found out at the public hearing!!!!!

You have to act fast and you have to keep on emailing, phoning etc. Let me know if you need any help - jenny_marquis@hotmail.com
Tuesday 10 February 2004 4.49pm
Jenny's comments would appear to be true. I live on the estate opposite the Jam Factory and I've recieved two or three letters inviting objections to plans to extend the building upwards. The only problem is that the letters always arrive months after the new floors have been added! My half hearted attempts to speak to anybody at the planning office always come to nothing. It would appear that you have to be determined and tenacious.
Wednesday 11 February 2004 1.33pm
I suppose you have heard that two senior people from Southwark Planning were recently suspended for not notifying locals about a development and the guy lost his nightclub business as a result. The gates have now opened for him to claim compensation.

The only thing I can suggest is keeping in constant contact with people at Southwark Planning and asking them if they have received any applications for anything in your area.

That is what I am doing now - sounds like Southwark Planning need to get their house in order and realise it is the 21st century and not the sleepy 1970's where 10 civil servants were paid to do one person's job.

Contacts at Southwark Planning are Michele Sterry and Sonia Watson. Keep your prodding stick out, though. Sonia hasn't been there long and she is very very efficient, but from what I gathered, they have far too much work to do and not enough people to do it, so they can't do anything properly and are missing things all over the place.
CS
Tuesday 17 February 2004 1.44pm
Before you contact Southwark Counil - the Cut is in Lambeth.
Tuesday 17 February 2004 1.47pm
The borough boundary crosses The Cut - the eastern end, where Styles House is, falls in Southwark.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 17 February 2004 1.49pm
CS The Cut has been divided since the street was named.

Since some mid 1990s boundary changes, which finally broke from the medieval parish bounds, the Lambeth-Southwark boundary runs down Hatfields, west along the Cut and then nips south to Ufford Street.
it's best to look at the map before making postings like that

Edited to add - beaten to it by the editor - hasn't he got crucial course reading to do? Further edited to make history clearer.

Post edited (19 Feb 04 18:00)
Saturday 23 March 2013 1.22pm
And here we are,just over 9 years later,still waiting for something to be done to that hideous,decrepit Algarve House. We had so many meetings locally,so many planners and so much time taken up back in those days ,but for what? A few bricks on the building were knocked around a few years ago to comply with some law.This took all of one morning.The two workers then sat in the sun on the roof,chatting on their mobiles,and then they disappeared forever,leaving the roof looking even worse than it did before.We are left with their legacy,no one seems to care,let alone inform anyone locally of what's happening,or not.I may just scream with frustration!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: