Southwark's noise team

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 19 May 2009 10.03am
Did any one read the article in yesterdays times about the work of southwarks noise team? At 1am with reverbrating sounds that could be heard 100 metres away, with two massive sound systems and a record deck outside with a hostile crowd on the central patio.

The poor lady in her seventies had dragged her mattress as far as possible from the noise, windows rattling ..she told Mr Miller it's every night, I'm trapped. When confronted the party holders said that they were being nice to the lady .. if inside it (the noise) would have been worse...That lady we know who she is a effing killjoy.

Why have these people not been evicted? or the poor suffering tenant who had the nerve to complain, moved to a quiter block? Why should anti-social morons be so threatening by commenting that they knew who it was reporting them. These poor lady must be terrified to leave her flat in case she bumps into them. Bring in some laws that would enable noise scum be evicted from council property.
Wednesday 20 May 2009 9.54am
Absolutely terrible! There must be more help for the poor woman.
Thursday 28 May 2009 2.15pm
I've had to deal with the noise team on a number of occasions, and have always found them to be incredibly good.

However, I think the points above raise a serious issue - if there is a noise complaint made to the council and it pertains to a council property, then steps should automatically be taken to notify the tenant (or even leaseholder) of the jeapordy they are putting their tenancy in. Even if someone can't be made homeless, the disruption of being moved elsewhere in the borough is something I expect most people would go far to avoid.

If anyone from the relevant bits of the council is reading this, I'd be interested to hear their thoughts.
Thursday 28 May 2009 2.28pm
@Jan the old one - re laws, the point made by the article is slightly different. Laws do exist that enable "noise scum" (btw i'm happy to adopt that as a term of art, as i'm extremely intolerent of said people) to be evicted from council property. But the problem is one of evidence. For these scum to be evicted (following a fair process) the council needs to be provided with evidence that the noise is actually taking place. Unfortunately your word as a victim isn't sufficient proof (indeed it shouldn't be - otherwise anyone could get all the neighbours they didn't like evicted by making false complaints). What is needed is for the council noise officer to actually hear the noise himself. And when they arrive to do that, as it says in the article, either it has stopped long ago (because the team take so long to arrive) or the perpetrators see them coming and turn it off. really not that much which can be done. which is pretty terrible.

you can take civil action in the courts yourself, but obviously that's costly and not within the means of a council tenant. and the evidence problem doesn't go away completely.
Thursday 28 May 2009 4.03pm
Is there any equipment TomDV that would accurately record the noise levels, with a data rcorder to specify what time etc?

In the old days you could play music in council property as long it was not loud enough to be heard outside and finished at 11pm! I'd see how loud they could create their noise living in a tent....
I wonder if they are the original tenants or whether the keys have been sold on..

either way that poor lady must be moved out, she will be living in fear of her life otherwise because of repercussions.
Thursday 28 May 2009 4.22pm
The council will act if you and (even more helpful) your other neighbours affected by the nuisance keep a diary of the incidents. This builds a body of evidence which will be taken seriously. It takes time though.....
Thursday 28 May 2009 4.53pm
Send a film crew so they can do a documentary, all the crew disguised as hoodies so their gear won't get pinched?
Monday 1 June 2009 12.43pm
Sadly even if you do keep a record of noises and harassment of those making it, the council and or noise team will do very little. I know one poor 74 year old lady who has been doing this for 12 years and she is still suffering. She has been passed from pillar to post and she still has not had a good nights sleep in years. She has copious notes of every single incident and even wrote to her councilors and MP and no one is willing to do anything definitive.
Wednesday 3 June 2009 3.03pm
I had dreadful neighbours next to me for two years. I initially contacted the council to no avail. Eventually I got onto my local councillor and he directly got hold of the relevant person in the council. I work in the media and I'm pretty sure that put a rocket up their **** and made them take me seriously. I had to keep a log of all the noise for a month and the council then contacted the neighbours explaining that if they carried on all sorts of noise abatement stuff would be done.

Predictably, they carried on and I started filming them - very obviously - to record the noise levels. Blatantly doing it seemed to have the desired effect and the music would go down. Just as I'd sent an edited copy of all this to the council and a week before my problem was about to be featured on the tv show I work for, they got evicted from the property (by the landlord - they were renting privately and had stopped paying their rent). But a year down the line I'm still nervous about getting new neighbours. And I don't advocate blatently filming them - if they're inconsiderate of you they're possibly not averse to a bit of a barney. But it worked for me - AND I get to use it every time we do something on vile neighbours, which gives me a quiet satisfaction.

We do items on noisy neighbours all the time - and the trauma and distress they cause cannot be underestimated.

If you want to pass on that lady's contact details we (the tv co I work for) may be able to help her in some way.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: