Scorched retinas

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 7 February 2004 3.38pm
Has anyone noticed the 'beacon' that has appeared on Tower Bridge, AKA 'LONDIS'? I recommend a night visit to appreciate it in all its hideous glory. It's the worst example of strip lighting/shop fit-out/shop front I have witnessed. You can spot the shelf of Andrex at the back from London Bridge!

I thought that Tower Bridge had the highest tourist classification placing restrictions on public areas. I look forward to the neon sign Londis will no doubt erect and to welcoming Mc Donalds and Chicken Cottage to Tower Bridge as well. I am so inspired I may quit my job and buy a drum of vegetable oil and a hot dog/caramelised peanuts stand. Whilst we are waiting for the planner to grow another brain cell, maybe the owners could do a bulk posting of sunglasses in the locality?

Anyone up for a clandestine mission to uncover their fusebox let me know?!

Saturday 7 February 2004 7.47pm
You are right Matt!

After getting off the RV1 the other night I almost had to dive for cover to protect my little peepers from being burnt to a cinder!

Tone it down guys!

However, quite a convienuent store for all us local residents and a bit cheaper than the Circle Store which is my nearest alternative for all those forgotten last minute bits and bobs.

So I guess I can tolerate the offensive lighting........for a while!

LOL

Jo.

Post edited (07 Feb 04 19:48)
Saturday 7 February 2004 8.37pm
I haven't seen it after dark yet.

If they have installed back lighting for the signage (i.e. fluorescent behind transluscent plastic) or neon this would require planning consent. If the lighting is external to the sign then there is probably precious little Southwark planning can do unless it presents a hazard to traffic through dazzling drivers approaching the lights at the junction.
Sunday 8 February 2004 1.47am
Lang,
I presume that this applies to the guiding of all means of transport, including pilots, as I fear that the combination of the lighting feature tower on the More London site coupled corresponding linearity of the pedestrian zone (not forgetting the water feature), plus of course the LONDIS landing beacon could lead a less seasoned pilot to mistake Tooley street for London City Airport.
Sunday 8 February 2004 3.02am
Love your SOH Matt C!

Suggest if you need a local SAS (Sign Able Saboteurs) then this site is the place to look judging by all the pot holing / cider drinkers around in SE1! They even have the gear!

There is no such thing as an Athiest on a Battlefied ... Anon
Sunday 8 February 2004 11.53am
It probably follows on from the recent research that pigeons are guided by landmarks and motorways. Hence an illuminated landing strip to allow them to 'bomb' tourists.

Landing strips seem to be a recurrant theme in SE1.
Sunday 8 February 2004 6.46pm
Has anyone seen the Seinfeld episode when they open up a Kenny Roger's Roasters (this is honestly a bona-fide chain of chicken restaurants in the USA) opposite the appartment block where Jerry and the others live? Kramer is in this dilema as the neon flashing sign of the huge chicken logo is keeping him awake all night, but he can't complain because he just loves their chicken?

It's funnier that my explanation sounds.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: