SE1 taxi services

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 8 February 2004 6.41pm
Hi - long time viewer, first time poster.....

I wondered if anyone has had any experiences of using the 'upmarket' taxi firm Addison Lee? I had two of their people-carriers booked yesterday to pick me and some friends up from City Airport. In the end, only one turned up (I'd booked them two weeks ago!!) and the driver was far from professional. When I debated the fare with him he offered 'to go round the back and sort it' in a very aggressive manner; forcing me to pay the fare he was quoting. After calling their offices they told me that there is nothing they can do as all their drivers are just self-employed.

This was a scary experience and I'd not advise anyone else to use this service. My wife and I certainly will not use them again.

So, can anyone recommend decent private hire taxi firms that use decent, large vehicles (that can fit skis in)?

Before anyone asks, I do not own a taxi firm (I work in a bank!)

Thanks.
Pam
Monday 9 February 2004 12.54pm
I would never use Addison Lee, used to use them in old company and we got charged 50 for a 5 fare, they charge an extortionate wating charge which would be fine if they bothered to call or ring a doorbell to let you know they're outside!
Monday 9 February 2004 12.57pm
This was discussed a little while back - some recommendations other than Addison Lee, (tho' I have to say, I've always found them to be very good).

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/8802

Edited to try and make the link work, but I obviously don't have my HTML head on today....

Post edited (09 Feb 04 12:58)
[also edited by JH to make the link work]
Monday 9 February 2004 1.15pm
i have used http://www.airportexecutive.co.uk (sounds more posh than it is...) tel 0208 838 3333 quite a lot and had with few exceptions no trouble with them.
you can book estate cars with a little surcharge of 6.
they even have babyseats, which was handy for me.
the drivers seem nice and "non-dodgy" but far from the white gloves and drivers cap.
hope this helps.

and btw i don't work for a cab company either- in case the question pops up.

kristina

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: