Southwark Bridge - traffic

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 27 May 2009 9.50am
Hi - first post. Been lurking for a while.

I realise Southwark Bridge itself is stretching the bounds of SE1, but it impacts on Southwark Bridge Road.

Has anyone else noticed the farcical traffic situation on Southwark Bridge of a morning, while the works are going on? The traffic is one lane. But while there is a traffic light on the SE1 end, there isn't one at the City end. So when volume is quite high, two flows meet in the middle of the one lane, and nobody goes anywhere. It's the same every morning at the moment. The other day i saw an ambulance stuck going south - one of the paramedics had to get out, walk up the opposing lines of traffic, tell all the northbound traffic to reverse back to SBR, then waved through the southbound traffic etc etc. Nonsense.

Does anyone know who an appropriate person/body to contact about this would be?
Thursday 28 May 2009 10.20am
Tell me about it, there have been works on that bridge for years. It took them ages to build a safe cycling lane that has then been blocked by road works most of the time...
Actually there is a traffic light Southbound but since it is located on the other side of the road (right pavement), drivers do not notice it and drive through it.
What annoys me is that they have blocked the northabound lane for no reason at all except for parking one or 2 small white vans for the workers' use. Surely they could park nearby without blocking the whole lane. Moreover, pedestrians take a huge risk walking there instead of crossing to the safe pavement. I can't believe an accident has not happened there yet.
Thursday 28 May 2009 11.15am
absolutely right about the vans. the cones do seem to be simply for parking. there is plenty of parking they could be using nearby - not least all the coach bays on Southwark Bridge Road about 50m away.

on the bright side at least they've altered the crossings on Thames Street. this was well overdue imo because the volume of pedestrian traffic at peak times i think has increased a lot since the opening of so many offices in the Bankside area - which people access from Mansion House.

I live on Southwark Bridge Road, but travel to work in the opposite direction, via Mansion House tube, so these are all things dear to my heart.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: