The bells of St George the Martyr

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8
Sunday 31 May 2009 2.55pm
These have been ringing for two hours non-stop (and possibly for longer, for all I know). Is this normal? I don't think so. It's the sort of noise that's pleasant enough at first, but becomes irritating over time.

Related news & features

Sunday 31 May 2009 3.20pm
I seem to be agreeing with you today! Yes I was just about to go there and ask them how much longer it is going to go on for! It must be some kind of electronic version as I do not believe a person could ring a bell for so long. This has happened before and is definately not normal to ring bells for this long!
Sunday 31 May 2009 4.20pm
How old are the bells?
Are they the same bells that the inmates of the Marshalsea listened to.
And the clock seems to have a mind of it's own, or else someone is adjusting it every couple of days. It chimes on the hour 2/3 minutes faster or slower than the Radio4 pips.
Sunday 31 May 2009 4.48pm
The bells, the bells. I happened to leave home just as they started and was surprised they were still going when I returned well over an hour later - and kept going for at least another hour, I think. Not in tune, loud and intrusive. Kate, I too was tempted to go over to ask how much longer we had to endure them.
Sunday 31 May 2009 9.46pm
Whitsuntide (Pentecost Sunday) has been celebrated in SE1 as one of the major feasts of the Christian year for a millennium.

And just becasuse the bells were silent for a decade from 1998 because the tower was declared unsafe is no reason not to start ringing them again.
Sunday 31 May 2009 10.05pm
There is rather a lack of the sound of church bells in London. When I lived in Barcelona for a while, I always knew the time from different church bells, and found it quite reassuring when I woke up to them every morning.

http://barcelonavisit.com
Holiday flat in Barcelona
Sunday 31 May 2009 10.29pm
I'm not sure it's all that reassuring for the bells to peal for three or fours hours without a break.
Sunday 31 May 2009 11.42pm
Well I thought it lovely and uplifting and certainly better than the shouting and out of tune haranguing with amplified drums wot happens across the road all day of a Sunday. You miserable, cheerless previous posters. Try a bit of campanology - you might enjoy it.
Sunday 31 May 2009 11.49pm
The bells -fine by me, but we all have our likes and dislikes.

18 million people watched "Britains Got Talent" last night - now for me, that's unappealing.

(peal - geddit)
Monday 1 June 2009 2.55am
How sad that people are so unused to the sound of church bells that hearing them sound on a major feast day brings such alarm and despondency. When I was young the church bells on a Sunday morning were a part of life, and we were so used to them they didn't seem intrusive at all.

And yes, it's perfectly possible for human beings to ring bells for hours at a time. They take turns and have a rest.

Happy Whitsuntide everyone!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: