A trip down memory lane.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 1 June 2009 6.18pm
Hi everyone.
I have recently read a book that I found on the internet, that may well be of interest to you. It's called Walking my Walworth by Maggie Filkins. It's about a little girl growing up in the sixties. It's full of cockney-style humour and nostalgia. It's got songs, street games, and all sorts. Many years ago I lived at the Borough, and I recognised a lot of the place names etc. It's a real trip down memory lane for anyone that's pushing on a bit, like myself :)
A question, Does anyone know if Chaucer House in Tabard Street is still standing?
Tuesday 2 June 2009 8.44am
Chaucer house was demolished over thirty years ago. It was an ordinary typical tenement block , then various councils used it as a dumping ground for problem tenants. You could never buy anything on h.p. ( hire purchase ) if you had an address of Chaucer, which was a shame for the ordinary tenants who had lived there for years. On one of James links there are some photos of it.
I'd like to read that book Annie-May it sounds just the sort of thing I like read, so I can moan about how many streets/shops/buildings have disappeared!
Tuesday 2 June 2009 7.50pm
Hi Jan.
I remember Chaucer House looking old when I lived there as a young teenager, and at that time it wasn't a bad place to be. Did they build more housing on the site?
Re: the Walworth book, do let me know if you get to read it. I couldn't put the thing down, the problems that poor girl had with her 'drawers' had me in fits.
Wednesday 3 June 2009 12.14am
Sounds like a really interesting book. I've always liked local history and ordinary peoples' memoirs.
Wednesday 3 June 2009 7.39am
They built tiny houses on the Pilgramage side of it Annie-May, 3 or four beds.I think. Mind you at least any one living there can have an unobstructed view of the park..till the council build on that too! I think it's called Chaucer Drive?
Wednesday 3 June 2009 3.08pm
Hello Auntie Pat.
I love biographies & memoirs too. The main reason I'm encouraging people to check out this book, is because it's rare to find something like this, written about our area! I really enjoyed it because I am old enough to remember what life, for a lot of people, was like in the sixties. But I also think youngsters living in the area would enjoy it too (not kids though), since it's a bit of an eye-opener into what times were like. On Amazon, you can look through some of the pages to get a better idea, before parting with your pennies :) I bought copies for my girls, just to remind them how lucky they are :)
Wednesday 3 June 2009 3.33pm
i ordered a copy after reading your post annie may and am looking forward reading it. I have recently read Call the mid wife by Jennifer Worth, which is about you guessed it, her life as a midwife in the 1950 docklands. although not this area i am sure living conditions would have been very similar. she is a natural story teller and we read the book at the SE1 book club and the others enjoyed it too. I have also read her follow on shadow of the work house and hope to read her latest book farewell to the eastend soon. If you like memoirs and biographies I am sure you would enjoy these too, although some of it is makes very sad reading. I cried my eye outs over shadow of the work house
Wednesday 3 June 2009 4.23pm
Hi Jac.
Do let me know what you think of the Walworth book? I am sure you will enjoy it. I read Shadows of the Workhouse about a month ago, I thought it was amazing too. The story about the brother and sister broke my heart. I have yet to get The Midwife story, and I hadn't heard about the farewell to the Eastend one! I will look out for it.
Wednesday 3 June 2009 6.26pm
Farewell to the east end is her latest book and is only in hard back at the moment. Midwife contains more little antidotes and some quite amazing facts with at least one very sad story but on the whole it is a cheerier book. You are right about the brother and sister story in workhouse, made all the more sad for me as my died last year of pancreatic cancer and it is a horrible horrible cancer. If the walworth book is as well written I shall love it all the more for it being my area.
Wednesday 3 June 2009 6.46pm
Hi Jac.
The Walworth book is different because it's written from the childs perspective, but it isn't a novel, more a series of events, but nonetheless enjoyable. I won't give anything else away and risk spoiling it for you. I would be interested to know what you think of it though.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: