Who is demolishing the building on Webber Street?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 5 June 2009 12.26pm
On Webber Street, opposite Ladbrokes and between Webber Row and Blackfriars Rd, there is a 60s three storey block being demolished. It's NOT the Sisk Development further down, but a far more ramshackle and dangerous looking affair. The fences don't look stable and one roll of a concrete block could cause untold danage to passers-by, not to mention how easy it is for kids to get into the site.

There are no notices or company signs anywhere. Dopes anyone know anything?
Friday 5 June 2009 1.18pm
I have been wondering exactly the same thing. It seemed to happen very suddenly after a group of homeless guys adopted it about two weeks ago. ( I have been told that they are the same guys that were living in the Partnership building on Waterloo Road which incidentally, still seems to have some folk coming and going on occasion, despite the sometime-there onsite guard).

I imagine the people at CLPE and/or the Peabody Estate either side will have some idea of what's going on and who is responsible. It does seem incredibly random and dangerous.

Does anyone know who should be contacted?
Monday 8 June 2009 8.06am
It was impassable on that side of the road yesterday forcing pedestrians onto the main road.
Monday 8 June 2009 6.51pm
Just walked past there and a chap from Southwark Council was there peering through the (imo inadequate fencing) and busy making notes. I approached and engaged him in conversation. It seems someone had reported their concerns and he was sent out to check (perhaps would have been more helpful if he had managed to come earlier when they were still on site!)

Anyway, he said there was no application or authorisation for demolition on record. More importantly, he was very bothered by the gas cylinders; both butane & acetylene) that had been just left lying around and right by the fence. He also pointed out the, what looked like, mains water pipes which just appeared to have been left hanging. He then went to speak to a chap from the printing place over the road who presumably, knew more than I so I left them to it.

All very odd (and dangerous) but hopefully, the Council will appear tomorrow when the guys are on site and make sure it's done properly.
Monday 8 June 2009 6.55pm
There is a current planning permission for redevelopment of the site:
http://tinyurl.com/webber-street

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Monday 8 June 2009 8.16pm
I'm glad the council were out today, I passed it on the way home and it's very chaotic looking. The buildings in the street seem lower than 6 storeys, I'm suprised people locally didn't object more to the planning app.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: