Tower Bridge Road closure - Bomb scare?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 5 June 2009 8.05pm
Just walked past the top of Tower Bridge road about 15mins ago and it's all taped off with loads of emergency services by the Railway bridge on Druid Street . The policeman I spoke to said there is a suspected bomb so they are closing the area. When I asked if it was an old bomb (ie an unexploded ww2 one) or a new one he said apparently they thought it was a new one with a battery!

Bit scary really!

Anyone else heard anything? Or been evacuated etc?
Friday 5 June 2009 9.12pm
I walked passed earlier and spoke to 2 guys who had been attempting to chat up a police woman manning one of the cordons and they told me she had said it was a chemical spill but she couldn't tell them whether or not it was related to an accident or something else...!!
Friday 5 June 2009 9.39pm
Well BBC travel says the road is now reopened and i didn't hear any bangs...
Funny how the police at different parts had different stories...The one I spoke to was trying in vain to stop cars turning into Tower Bridge road from Tooley Street, They hadn't even trusted him with any police tape to cordon off the road so I doubt they gave him any official information.
Saturday 6 June 2009 9.21am
There appears to be a case of uselessness going on on neighbouring Bermondsey Street!
Saturday 6 June 2009 2.07pm
I was dining in Constancia yesterday evening when all the brou ha-ha started with the police tape and road closing. Interesting to watch a 188 do a seven or eight point turn and head back south along TBR. Presumably it did a left into Grange Rd. and followed the # 1 route to Surrey Quays as it would be unable to get under the bridge in Abbey St. Wonder how the passengers who wanted to get off in Jamaica Rd. felt about it?
Nose ache Mrs. Pepper strolled over to the police cordon and was told that a chemical spillage was the cause of the problem.
Saturday 6 June 2009 8.27pm
Well phew a chemical spillage is much less worrying than a bomb.
I suspect it's probably a similar police cordon procedure in case the chemicals ignite which caused the different stories.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: