Ivy removal - any suggestions?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 8 June 2009 8.01am
I've got a huge amount of ivy growing up the back wall of my house, and I need to get it removed. Does anyone know of a gardener or extremely competent handyman who would be able to tackle this? I've tried going through the council and, needless to say, have been passed from office to office, with nobody taking responsibility.

Any suggestions most welcome. It's WAY too big to tackle myself.

Thanks!
Monday 8 June 2009 10.58am
Hi Rupert
You can help things along (and maybe turn this into something you can tackle yourself) by severing the parts of the plant going up the wall from the roots. Cutting into it with a shovel would do the trick, or even going along with some heavy duty scissors or secateurs. Either way, don't be gentle - you need to decimate it (and more, for the Latin-ists out there!)

You REALLY want to avoid pulling the living plant off the wall, since this will take loose masonry/render etc. with it and the damage may be bad enough to require professional repair (e.g. re-pointing, which will cost s). As much as you can do to kill it, and let it drop off naturally, will help keep the costs down (even if you do need to bring someone in to tackle it). However, dead ivy looks a lot less formidable than when it's alive, so once everything starts to look sad/shrivelled, it may be that you feel you can tackle it. Wait for a nice day, and get some Vitamin D to boot!

Good luck!!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: