Tap Water

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 9 June 2009 9.12am
Is the tapwater here drinkable or is it better to buy still water?
Back home in my country the tap water is usualy better then the one in the shop, but here I don't know.
Would be great if someone could help me out in this matter.
Tuesday 9 June 2009 9.19am
The tap water here is fine. You may not like the taste - the water is quite hard - but it is unquestionably safe to drink.
Tuesday 9 June 2009 11.41am
As longlaner said, definitely safe to drink, but if you don't like the taste you can buy a Brita filter jug from Tesco, etc. which takes away some of the tap water taste and makes it taste more like bottled water.
Tuesday 9 June 2009 1.25pm
In that case I will filter the water and will go for it, just wanted to know if it is safe to drink it.
Thanks a lot for the information!
Jac
Tuesday 9 June 2009 2.05pm
I once did a blind tasting of water including London tap, tap water from another area and several major brands of water with a group of friends. The London Tap water was a clear winner I think because of it's very neutral, some of the bottled mineral water has quite a strong flavour from the minerals dissolved in it.

Ok this was some years a go and it wasn't very scientific but what i would say is try it first you might like it.
Wednesday 10 June 2009 1.19am
I drink tap water all the time, unfiltered. Actually I think some of the bottled waters taste foul.
Wednesday 10 June 2009 7.16am
And dont forget that bottled water in plastic bottles not only absorbs chemicals from the plastic (esp if exposed to sunlight for any length of time) and is really bad for the environment (I am led to believe).
Friday 12 June 2009 12.02am
Bottled water in glass bottles is the best tasting, if you can find it, it also tend to be jolly pricy.

However, it doesn't taste of plastic or chlorine and is the clear winner in my experience.

Pity no one recycles glass bottles any more like we used to do with milk bottles with the foil lids.

Bring back the milkman with a side order of tasty water bottled in glass!
Friday 12 June 2009 12.38pm
Davies wrote:
Pity no one recycles glass bottles any more like we used to do with milk bottles with the foil lids.

You had better hope that the gauleiters of Southwark Council don't know who you are or where you live, or you will be getting a knock on the door in the middle of the night from the re-cycling stormtroopers!
Friday 12 June 2009 1.23pm
Debrajoan wrote:
Davies wrote:

You had better hope that the gauleiters of Southwark Council don't know who you are or where you live, or you will be getting a knock on the door in the middle of the night from the re-cycling stormtroopers!

Hi Debrajoan, I guess you missed what Davies wanted to say. Years ago - even in my country - the milkman used to collect the used bottles. They were cleaned with boiling water and re-used. Nowadays they recycle it while they melt the glas. This procedure is much more expensive, but in the other hand the hygiene is better (should be..).
For sure it would be better to use glas then plastic!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: