A High Line for SE1 ?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 11 June 2009 7.04pm
Yesterday I took a newcomer to the newly opened High Line walkway in New York. Despite the dull weather, the High Line casts a spell over New Yorkers themselves who are seeing their town in an enchanting new way. Is there a disused elevated viaduct in SE1?
Thursday 11 June 2009 7.37pm
I recently saw the NYTimes article on the Highline park being opened this week, so good timing.

I'm currently taking photos of the underside of bridges (location scouting for a low-budget short film) in the area, and was wondering the same thing. There are certainly disused areas by the sides of some railway and other bridges, but would be curious if there are things similar to the Highline.

I dont know if the people at http://www.hiddenlondon.com/ or the Museum of London might be helpful, but its worth an ask.
Thursday 11 June 2009 7.42pm
Very cool... I've often thought that it would be nice to use the disused columns next to Blackfriars Train viaduct as the basis for a public space. You could put a great garden on them.
Thursday 11 June 2009 8.01pm
Southwark Council may also be a good source of info.

If anyone ends up w some definite ideas, it would be a good idea to contact local officials, MP, etc at some point later.
Thursday 11 June 2009 10.28pm
I'm pretty sure there are no lengthy disused viaducts in SE1 - and one of the few in London is now being redeveloped for the new East London line.
Friday 12 June 2009 9.47am
Not quite the same as the High Line, but there's this project just across the SE1/SE16 border in South Bermondsey.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: