Shops selling alcohol after hours

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Wednesday 11 February 2004 1.48am
Tonight at 11:45 p.m. I saw a local, (unnamed), shop selling beer.
They took payment away from the cash register, and the customers secreted the beer in their jackets before leaving.

The 2 customers gave every impression of being alcoholics....dress, smell, etc. It made me feel sad. And unsure.

Because maybe if it were 2 cool clubbers, wanting a nice bottle of wine, I would be secretly pleased that the law was being broken.

What do other SE1'ers feel I should do? Police? Ignore?

Also, I admit that I already feel uncomfortable that some shops sell 4 packs of the stronger beers ( Tennants Super etc) at bargain prices. Kevin

Wednesday 11 February 2004 7.13am
Ignore it if the two customers were of legal drinking age, It is sad if the two concerned were alkies, but for years many pubs have served people worse the wear for drink and many of them were out of licensing hours too.

I feel the same about ' special offers' of extra strong beers, but if you have a drinking problem and little money I suppose you'd be happy...

McDonalds 99 pence burgers are on my hit list....

and the porcine element takes to the sky...
Wednesday 11 February 2004 9.49am
friend of mine who's in the trade told me that [people like] Tennants sell [beers like] Super at cheaper wholesale prices to corner shops than to [shops like] Oddbins as they have a better share of the high-volume park bench market.

If only anyone would sell cheap cider. Judging by supermarket prices, cider is the next champagne.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Wednesday 11 February 2004 10.10am
I went into a branch of a very well known chain of vintners located in a particular borough several years ago, and asked about their cider.
"We don't sell cider, the licensing authorities don't want to encourage down and outs coming in to the area and so our license doesn't allow us to sell certain things."
I was outraged, I was wearing a suit at that time (mind you, so do lots of "down and outs") and a couple of phone calls got me through to the people who handle license applications. They were very interested in what I had to tell them, as it was a complete fiction, they were also unhappy at being misrepresented in such a fashion. It was explained to me that the license says something along the lines of: licensed to sell beers, wines and spirits etc. and not: except cider, strong lager etc. They asked me to revisit the shop and put their concerns to them in person, and told me to quote the nature of the shop's license to the manager. This I did and further asked him to make sure he stocked cider in future and got him to order some esoteric numbers in from Normandy for good where was I? Oh yes, don't forget, Royal Oak, 8pm tonight!
Wednesday 11 February 2004 3.30pm

The Londis I used to buy alcohol from when I became of legal age sold very cheap cider - White Lightning - 3 litres for about 1.50. Obviously rubbish, but I couldn't believe the owners sales pitch. "Guaranteed to get you mashed" were his exact words...
Wednesday 11 February 2004 3.33pm

I used to drink White Lightning when I was young(er) and unemployed - it might not be delicious (or from Normandy) but it is very effective (so i seem to remember).
Wednesday 11 February 2004 3.47pm
Returning to the theme of the original posting, how many shopkeepers regularly flout the law by selling cigarettes to under-age smokers? I never had any problem getting ,what was at that time, my drug of choice when I was a very obvious 14 year old. Although I've some years have passed, I wouldn't mind betting that it's just as easy now. Ahhhh, White Lightning, that brings back some (seriously impaired) memories - it's just that my palate has become more discerning of late maybe?
Wednesday 11 February 2004 6.10pm
God Bless local shopkeepers. The only people keeping the flow of strong, cheap booze and fags [with names you've never heard of] going.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Wednesday 11 February 2004 7.59pm
White theres a memory!
I seem to remember my very first hangover was a result of the vile stuff.
I enjoyed it at the time no doubt though,
but that night I remember chips trampled into my mothers conservatory carpet, slapping a girl I didn`t like and losing the dog. Not to mention vomiting whilst on the phone to my friend Sarah, (asking for help to find said dog!) and being in bed by 9........all that when i was 15....oooooooo a northern upbringing hey!

Up the small shopkeeper who sold me the stuff!

Thursday 12 February 2004 9.31am
You gotta love those impromptu house parties that occurred as a result of cheap booze (Capstan lager - 19p a can, White Lightning & Diamond White). One of my mates 'watered' one of my Mum's house plants with Diamond White. It survived, but I swore I could smell apples every year when it flowered...
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: