Please update us on the bees...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Zoe
Monday 15 June 2009 9.54pm
Tell us when they are gone...
Monday 15 June 2009 10.04pm
In case you're wondering what Zoe's talking about, this swarm appeared in Burrell Street today [as reported on our Twitter stream]

Websites about bees suggest ringing the council or police who will know local beekeepers who could collect the swarm.

I spent 15 minutes on the line to the council call centre, but the guy didn't really understand what I was talking about and eventually said that pest control would look at it in five working days.

So I rang the swarm helpline [I didn't know such things existed] of the London Beekeepers' Association and a helpful man said he'd come and check it out.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 15 June 2009 11.12pm
Just been past and the swarm has gone.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 15 June 2009 11.13pm
What has happened to the Royal Festival Hall hive? Their blog presence has been ominously quiet since March
Tuesday 16 June 2009 1.18am
Wow!

Given the problems the poor bees have these days I'm delighted the few swarms left have the good taste to swarm in Bermondsey and I hope the bee keeper folk find them a good home!

(My Mum and Dad used to keep bees and gave me wonderfull honey and bees wax but then the verroa came...)
Tuesday 16 June 2009 7.17am
Thats the trouble with call centres James, they only have standard information on their screens, when I worked on a council switchboard we had little black books in which every operator compiled lists of enquiries that were asked and had no obvious links to internal extensions.

We had everything in them, from beekeepers who would collect a swarm, to chimney sweeps,fox rescue and chemists with late night hours..plus all the operators were local!
Tuesday 16 June 2009 1.11pm
James Hatts wrote:
I spent 15 minutes on the line to the council call centre, but the guy didn't really understand what I was talking about...

What's so difficult to understand about "there's a swarm of bees"?! Was English his first language?
Wednesday 17 June 2009 1.04pm
Glad to report that Royal Festival Hall hives doing well. Trainee beekeepers were taken up there by LBKA experts last week and observed that all was fine.

I have been trying to spot the hives from across the river - my imagination keeps on trying to morph air-conditioning units into hives - but no luck so far!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: