Waterloo traffic

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 11 February 2004 12.51pm
As usual, the poor road-user is victimised. What is going by the Imax cinema that forces the road to be reduced to 1 lane so that traffic has to queue for ever?
Wednesday 11 February 2004 1.50pm
Actually, in this case I think it is good news for most road users: a new set of pedestrian crossings is going in and new bus stops/layout.

People using buses: northbound buses will in the future pull up off the carriageway in a new bus "station" between the road and the railway viaduct. This may reduce the conflicts between buses and cars that occur at the current site. Also the buses will be concentrated at this site rather than strung out along Waterloo Road (I think, although don't know, that the stops outside the station entrance by McDonalds will go).

People using their feet: the crossing should allow people to cross the road safely without having to use the foul underpasses (if they can find where to access them from) just south of the IMAX. Currently the nearest crossing is at least 400m away near the Sainsbury shop.

People using cycles: there will be new cycle lanes south of the Imax and advance stop lines at all crossings. However, the roundabout (which is there to maximise the flow of cars) will remain to the detriment of cyclists' safety.

People using cars: see points above - more focused bus stops located off the main road. However, the road will still be 1 lane northbound for general traffic, with buses, cycles and taxis able to use a bus lane. Of course this is also in the congestion charge area, so we know that the volume of cars is lower than it was. Oh, and when are the police going to do something about the van delivering to the Fire Station that blocks the bus lane every day before 9am?

Designs can be found at the following link:
Overview (no PDF)
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/streets/waterloo.shtml
or in detail (pdf)
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/streets/pdfdocs/schemes/waterloo.pdf

Wednesday 11 February 2004 2.30pm
And besides, mapmaker, it's only really the [horrid, nasty] cars that are inconvenienced.

Those of us on two wheels will continue to career recklessly from one side of the road to the other, and will squeeze dangerously through the gaps just like we always do ;0)

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Wednesday 11 February 2004 2.52pm
It's not good news at the moment. And Ivanhoe, I think you jumped to the wrong conclusion about me. I am FAR too parsimonious to pay Red Ken's 5 Toff Tax. My road using is as a bus passenger - and those poor buses queue up from Waterloo to the Imax and go nowhere!
Wednesday 11 February 2004 5.50pm
[I was only gently joking mapmaker, remembering the happy days of defending the car/damning the car.]

I agree that it is serious, especially when buses are held up. My simple mind sees a full bus and thinks "There's 20 or 30 cars not on the road. Hooray!".

If we're ever going to get London to work better, then public transport has to be an attractive option (not the option for those who can't find any other way into work, as it is at present, IMO), and buses must pay a major part (as there's no room on the tubes and trains.

But, as your post bears witness, delays to buses cause a lot of bad feeling, and that will undo any good work that tfl are trying to do (to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they are trying to make transport better).

From Luke's post, it does seem as if there will be eventual benefits to bussers. However, I wonder whether there's been a missed opportunity in communicating aims to passengers. I'm sure that you would have thought the inconvenience was more bearable if someone had put up posters or something to let you and your fellow passengers know that it was temporary and for your own eventual benefit. It seems rather amateur to do "improvements" in a way that gets passengers frustrated.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Wednesday 11 February 2004 6.18pm
[And why do you think I carefully used 'road user' not 'car user' nor 'bus user' if not to offer you that chance!]

It doesn't take posters or anything fancy, just a bit of common sense. There's an island between the northbound & southbound lanes. This island has just been moved as a part of these works. If they'd left us without an island whilst the works were going on, then there would be room for 2 lanes onto the roundabout.

No man is an island.
Thursday 12 February 2004 6.24pm
I couldn't agree more with posts about the poor communication - I could find nothing at all around the building site saying what was happening. It seems as if putting something on a website now passes for communication.

On a related subject, does anybody know why the "Hole in the Wall" put seems miraculously to have survived war, Waterloo Road roundabout and now this?

Monday 16 February 2004 12.55pm
It does seem amazing that The Hole In The Wall has survived but I'm glad it has. I know it's not exactly pleasant but it does have a certain atmosphere (mostly nicotine last time I was in there) and I have spent many evenings soaking it up in there. It is, after all the perfect alternative to say, The Fire Station.
Tuesday 17 February 2004 9.53am
What about that funny little house just behind the bus stops? Does anybody know if its inhabited - it looks like it is. And it looks like they are carefully avoiding it during all this construction.

On the subject of whats going on at the roundabout, it seems incredible to me that something like this, which is going to affect many thousands of people a day, has not involved any consultation at all. I got a leaflet through my door with the same picture as the website - its rubbish, doesnt actually give you any real idea of what its going to be like. And it was presented as a done deal - no consultation at all. And while I'm at it, why don't councils or TfL have to apply for planning permissions with these things?

I use the roundabout to get to work on my bike every day and I expect to die sometime soon as a bus turns left (over me) into the new 'mini bus station'.
Tuesday 17 February 2004 10.03am
There was some consultation on the bus station scheme - or at least a briefing for residents - at the South Bank Forum several months ago.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: