Rotherhithe Police Station

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 16 June 2009 10.23pm
Dear Forum users

Does anyone have any news about the proposed closure of Rotherhithe police station?

I remember hearing that some minister, no doubt not living in the Bermondsey/Rotherhithe area, wanted it to close down. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Politicians shouldn't close the station or any police stations, on the contrary, an extra floor should be added to house extra police officers. I don't want to see more officers on the streets in order to arrest people, I want to see them really communicating with the local residents as they used to do, and for the police to genuinely be seen as part of the community, which they no longer appear to be. They shouldn't have to arrest many people, because they should be a strong deterrant to problems arising.

I found the following figure on Southwark Councils own website. For every 1,000 resident in Southwark there are 33 violently attacks against a person. In the whole of London, not including Southwark, there are 23 violent attacks against a person. I think 23 attacks is is terrible, but 33 attacks per 1,000 people in Southwark is appalling.

Southwark has nearly twice as many residents in the borough on average, than the rest of the London boroughs, on average. Therefore, as a percentage, the number of violent attacks in Southwark is wholly unacceptable and even greater in percentage terms.

We really do need more police and better education in Southwark.

Thank you in advance for any comments.

Gary

Gary Bland
http://www.garybland.org
Wednesday 17 June 2009 7.31am
It's appalling Gary, I know years ago in Flint Street there was a small police staion they closed, I think the building is still there, but had never seen it in use.

Southwark closed schools on the basis that the population was ' falling' then sold them off..Paragon in Searles Road and Chaucer school near tabard street comes to mind,both now converted to flats. How shortsighted not to realise that with a constant influx of people to the capital there would be an increase in children and a shortage of school places!

We make booze cheaper on the high street and forbid any one who smokes to sit and natter to their friends, so when pub trade drops they too are sold off. ( the pub not the drinkers!)

Is the Rotherhithe station already earmarked for selling off?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: