Childcare

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 17 June 2009 9.52am
Hi there,

I am a mother looking for childcare for my 9 month old son. He is on the list at the nearby nurseries, but they are not optimistic that he will have a place by my return to work in October. I am now looking for childminders. I know I can get lists of childminders in my area, but am really looking for a recommendation rather than a random placement. If anyone knows of anyone who could provide excellent care for my son then please contact me. This is our location.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=533990&Y=178232&A=Y&Z=110

Thank you for your help. Very best wishes. Jules
Wednesday 17 June 2009 10.48am
Hi. Our childminder lives off Spa road in Bermondsey and she is absolutely brilliant. I guess it depends on where you work, to know if this is workable for you. Her name is Angie and she has looked after my son 2 days per week since he was one. She is wonderful with children and my son loves her. It's a really happy household and she takes them out to parks, playgroups etc. and he loves it. He runs to her when we drop him off and gives her a huge hug. She only charges 35 per day for 8 hours, and we supply his food and nappies etc. If you email me vaughankingston@hotmail.com or PM me I will send you her details.
Thursday 18 June 2009 2.54pm
Hi Jules, I went to a very helpfull childcare information evening at mint street playground on Tuesday night, there were a couple of ladies there from Southwark council who talked about childminding and said that they can help with matching you up with a childminder. I don't have contact details or anything to hand but can dig them out if you like.

I'd love to hear personal recommendations too (EnC / Waterloo area preferably) tho I'm not in a rush just yet as the little one isn't due to arrive untill next month!)

K
Thursday 18 June 2009 3.17pm
Isn't it illegal to employ childcare under the minimum wage? Just wondering.
Thursday 18 June 2009 3.28pm
Hi. I'm not sure about the answer to your question. Maybe you could start another thread to discuss it if you like. I'd like to keep this one focussed on my search for childcare. Many thanks.
Thursday 18 June 2009 3.58pm
Oh, what a shame. I was going to offer a nannyshare, but on the basis of that last post I'm not sure you'd be suitable.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 18 June 2009 4.08pm
Thanks Kirsty. The contact information would be very helpful. I have my sons name down on the waiting list for Coin Street in Waterloo. I think it looks like a very good place. The waiting list is over a year though, so unfortunately I won't get a place before I return to work.
Friday 19 June 2009 5.58am
Mine are older now, one solution was to approach someone you like and trust at playgroup and who is not planning to go back to work, and ask if they are interested in qualifying as a childminder and then looking after your child.

Advantage is that your child is then with another child the same age, you get childcare, the non-working mum gets some income (though below the minimum wage) and child has a contemporary and gets to go to the same playgroups etc.

On the minimum wage thing, I think childminding is seen as a business not employment so people are pay what the childminder charges. Some childminders look after a surprisingly high number of children, especially if they do after school care as well as babies. And basic economics - people on minimum wage are often the people who most need to work, and they can afford to pay someone else minimum wage to look after each child.

That said I was always surprised at how seemingly normal people would really exploit those people they were trusting to look after their small children. Or would settle for cheap and low quality child care, when they were equally able and happy to blow large sums on weekend breaks, cars etc. (Not a statment about any of the posts so far, but a general musing on different values and priorities.)
Friday 19 June 2009 10.16am
Hi Jules,

I'll PM you the contact info from the mint street evening.

That's handy to know about coin street too, we were thinking of looking there, if there's a year long waiting list we'd better put his/her name down now - tho that does mean we'll have to decide on a name!

On the minimum wage thing ('cause I was learning all about this on Tuesday) childminders are self employed so as Sarah2 says they set their rates, they can look after up to 6 children so although 35 for 8 hours is less than the minimum wage 35 x 6 isn't.

I agree - seems crazy to exploit someone you're leaving your child with!

K
Tuesday 23 June 2009 9.24am
My best friend's daughter is just about to move from her childminder (who is very good and she absolutely adores - she's been going there for years) because her place has now become available at 'the Vale'.

So Tracy (the childminder) may have a vacancy there... Although she is based just off Rye Lane in Peckham - I'm not sure if this is too far away for you? She's very good and very nice though! PM me if you want any further details and I'll get them from my friend!
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: