Sherborne House, Decima Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 19 June 2009 4.19pm
anybody know what this place is for/?
seems to allow young men to congregate outside for most of the day messing around and smoking..particularly busy on friday/
i think it might be a training place but if someone is in charge they could do with a word.. they obstruct the pavement and never move out the way for ladies..they just gawp
i would be interested in whats its all about and who to complain to cos if it is a probation place they aint teachin em much! deffo not manners
Friday 19 June 2009 4.32pm
It's the 'Urban Academy' run by the Kids Company charity:

http://www.urbanacademy.org.uk/

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 19 June 2009 4.41pm
I'd have thought that they would be relatively receptive to constructive criticism. I've always been very impressed by the Kids Company and the work that they're trying to do with some quite troubled young people.
Friday 19 June 2009 6.36pm
I know the Chaucer Safer Neighbourhood team has a relationship with Sherborne House and in the past has occasionally passed on constructive criticism. As Homeletter says, the work they're trying to do there is impressive. Whenever I've found the pavement obstructed I've said "hi, excuse me" and usually had a good response.
Sunday 21 June 2009 7.55am
The slightly puzzling thing is that there always seem to be so many young guys standing outside, not really doing anything. I'm a fan of Kids Company, on the basis of what I've read, and the syllabus sounds worthwhile, including "Fine Art Digital media, painting, portfolio preparation, fashion, drawing. Performing Arts & Music Singing and MC skills, DJ workshops, songwriting, studio recording. Psychology Emotions and how they work, body language, how the brain works, addiction. The Human Body First aid, advanced nutrition, fitness and exercise, alternative health methods. How to run your own home Cooking and cleaning, budgeting and bills, basic plumbing, carpentry. Social Affairs International politics and economics, free trade, global poverty, civil rights. Working with children & young people Child protection, how children think and feel. Organisation Presentation and telephone skills, legal issues, career workshops, job hunting skills." But I have to say I'd been perplexed by what this place was all about. It's interesting to find out.
Zoe
Sunday 21 June 2009 8.15am
I've also noticed the people outside when cycling past, but they also all go inside at the same time, enmass, so they are probably just having a break.

It is interesting to find out what it is though, I thought it was some sort of dodgy English Language college, they always seem to have lots of people milling outside as well, this is much more worthwhile.
Sunday 21 June 2009 5.37pm
if thats what it is its to be applauded.. tho i can say that some of the 'breaks' last for a few hours.. also on friday this seemed to involve openly smokin special cigarttes ! not sure thats gonna help the thought process.. perhaps the leaders /teachers are a little too liberal??
Monday 22 June 2009 6.53am
It used to be be the Boys Brigade I think, or was it junior navy? senior moment..shame the Kids Company which is a worthy cause could not steer the Kids into something a bit more exciting?
Just looked online and saw much to my amazement the Boys Brigade still exist!

and looks like the sort of thing boys would enjoy too and 65 year old pensioners!

It's no good if the Kids Company do no more than ' storage' of the young people.
Monday 22 June 2009 11.55am
This pasted from their website.

Our Work
Kids Company operates through two street level centres and a therapy house in South London, as well as offering therapeutic and social work services in 37 schools.

We are advanced in our service delivery, employing a widely skilled team of professionals working at street level. Unlike traditional approaches, we create a unique, ‘wraparound' model of care for each child, so that all of their issues are addressed by one team in one place, without the need for referrals or waiting periods.

Our unique multidisciplinary approach combines health, housing, emotional wellbeing, mental health, arts, sports, youth justice, education and employment. These interventions are designed to strengthen, supplement or substitute the child's parenting experience.

Our aim is to first stabilize each young person by meeting their practical needs, before helping them to address emotional and behavioural difficulties. Once the young person has achieved some sense of stability and calm, we help them to identify talents and interests and so develop aspirations for the future.
Monday 22 June 2009 1.18pm
Do they just stick young people into flats with out maintaining any help and support after? because thats what used to happen with social services.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network