Joes Kitchen - the hard sell

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 20 June 2009 8.23pm
We've been going to Joes Cafe for some time. I think the food is quite good; however lately there seems to be a bit of cost cutting and 'Apprentice style' upselling.

I used to get nice big mushrooms with the breakfast, but no more. They also used to serve a small little biscuit accompanying tea or coffee. Gone.

On entrance, you're required to seated by a staff member; which I always find really annoying - it's not a restaurant after all. Invariably they seat you in the spot you'd rather not be. The tables are just a little bit too narrow, so you'd always prefer to get two tables together if you can.

The bloke in charge on Saturdays comes across as insincere and over-efficient. You're savouring the remnants of your Latte and it'll be - "can I get you anything else" i.e. if you're finished, here's the bill - I need this table!

Once you get the bill - its isn't cheap. The food is still reasonable, but all these little things are starting to add up.
Sunday 21 June 2009 6.33am
i always thought the weekend chap was rather genuine in his niceness...and as for "can i get you anything else", that is pretty standard stuff for the type of place it is. on the other hand the food is a tad on the bland side and the coffee only satisfactory...
Friday 17 July 2009 12.55pm
I went here yesterday...NEVER AGAIN

I pointed out to the waiter that 8 for a salad is quite a bit when you get the plate and half of the ingredients are not ripe (and small slithers at that). His answer?

'We've been having some problems with the avocados in the kitchen'

- my response was that if you don't have the ingredients at an edible standard then you shouldn't serve the food.

He rudely walks off muttering - I'll pass on your complaint.

No mention of a discount (even though half of the dish was not edible) - no manager in sight.

I paid 8 for a bowl of spinach.

He then took about 10 minutes to bring us our change- at which point we were determined that he was not going to be taking a penny in tips.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: