Regular Bike thefts from Secure Garage under City Walk?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 22 June 2009 10.31am
Has anyone else had problems with bike theft / wheels going missing from bikes in the Garage beneath City Walk?

I had the wheels stolen from my bike, and 2 weeks later (after getting more locks to secure my new wheels as well as the frame) I found my lock had been cut through with bolt cutters. I also noticed the bikes next to mine had wheels missing, and on one of the bike bays all that seemed left was a pile of chain lock also looking like they had been cut through with bolt cutters...

I've been (trying) to speak to White Druce Brown about general security - i accept that you take a risk with oppotunistic theft but it seems to me that people are regularly accessing the basement armed with boltcutters so its more a safety issue if you are down there at night.

WDB have basically came back and said its pointless checking the cctv and ther was nothing they could do. I checked a few things out though and it seems that various temporary access codes issued by WDB for the main block and for the garage have never been de-activated - the estate agents have been usng one door code for months to let people in to deliver their junk mail.

WDB havent got back to me on phone or email in two weeks - just wondering if anyone else has had any security problems and have tried going to managing agents? bike are bad enough, but i'm worried about car as well - if nly for increased insurance premium - as well as just going down there at night and if people can get into the garage to regularly target it then they can just as easily go upstairs to the flats... :(
Monday 22 June 2009 1.18pm
The thefts always get worse when Gallaird are building around there. Their builders have all the equipment needed for bike theft. Most of this stuff goes on durning the day.
Galliard use the car park as their own and with the new code entry system, they don't even have to worry about fobs.
When the main building work is finished on the aparthotel things should get better again.
Jac
Monday 22 June 2009 3.50pm
I think you should be careful what you are implying there unido. I agree galliard do seem to use the care parking a lot but to suggest they may be responsible for the thefts themselves seems a bit unfair with out any evidence.

It doesnt help that the gates seem to be stuck open on a regular basis and it is about time the managing agents changed the code.
Monday 22 June 2009 10.28pm
We're in a different block and have exactly the same problem but don't have Galliard or any other builders onsite. I would be very hesitant about blaming the builders - especially if there is cctv as they would be very recognisable. I think you need to address the issue with the door codes but also put up some sort of warning to other residents to ensure the door/gates are closed after them as that is often the route in - electric gates can be quite slow to close. Also, don't assume that all residents have reported it - people tend to always think someone else will have done it so I would keep hassling your managing agents and encourage others to do so.

I can't imagine you'll ever stop it but hope you can reduce the number of incidents. Good luck.
Tuesday 23 June 2009 11.01am
I'm also a City Walk resident and access the garage via a keycode. The reason for this is that the managing agents do not have any spare 'slots' in their computer system for additional fobs. Therefore we need to keep the keycode system going.

My main concern is that a number of car park spaces are rented out by local estate agents to people who don't live in City Walk. This is to try and recoup some of the cost of the development and because a smaller than expected number of residents chose to purchase a space with their flat. The outcome of this is that a large number of people wander in and out of the car park and lifts with no connection to the residential blocks - I think this is a big security problem.
Tuesday 23 June 2009 11.18am
Hi tony - have you spoke to WDB (managing agent) about any security problem?

Also - and i could be mistaken here as at the time i never used the garage - but earlier this year WBD got a new set of fobs/new system which means there should be plenty of free "slots" availible for more keys.

I know this as when i moved in i spent two month trying to get one spare key fob from them for the main door in Antonine Heights...
Jac
Tuesday 23 June 2009 12.18pm
tonytiger wrote:
I'm also a City Walk resident and access the garage via a keycode. The reason for this is that the managing agents do not have any spare 'slots' in their computer system for additional fobs. Therefore we need to keep the keycode system going.
My main concern is that a number of car park spaces are rented out by local estate agents to people who don't live in City Walk. .

When the current keycode system was installed my fob stopped working. On contacting the managing agents I was told to return the key fob and they would replace it. At the same time i also purchased a spare and was given the key entry code to use until the new fob arrived. I was lead to believe the keycode was only a temporary measure.

Incidentally I am not a resident of city walk but I do own a car parking space there, although clearly a number of spaces are rented out. The key code would be fine if it was code was changed on a regular basis, that way the code would not become known by all and sundry.
Tuesday 23 June 2009 12.26pm
Hello everyone,

I had my bike stolen from the city walk garage a few years ago and got the response from WDB that 'the cameras were checked and nothing was clearly visible'. I did follow up with them about the (lack of) security issue for several months but obviously this remains an ongoing problem. One major issue was that the pedestrian door to the left of the garage roller door was intermitantly unlocked. You may want to check this out as well. It will obviously mean unwanted intruders gaining access by a far easier means than an old key code.
Tuesday 23 June 2009 12.47pm
Hi Jac,

Interesting - i had the same thing when the new key fobs were issued. I've got the letter from WDB in front of me and it says that the passcodes - for the garage and for the lobby were *temporary* unril the new fobs were issued!

I've been checking that fire door and it seems to be locking fine.

I've been trying to get a decent answer out of WDB for a few weeks - i've had parcels go missing from the lobby, as well as my bike wheels stolen (and lock cut through with boltcutters) all in the last few months. (The helpful reply was to make sure i got everything delivered recorded delivery and made sure i was in)..
Thursday 25 June 2009 1.23pm
We have had 2 bikes stolen from down there in the last 2 years. It is no surprise that residents keep bikes on the balconies - I would never leave mine one in the so-called "secure parking" area. Since I have been living there, parcels will go to my office address - similar issue. Ridiculous, but I don't think the managing agents really care.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: