Old Kent Road Asda

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Zoe Tuesday 30 June 2009 10.43pm
I'm not sure if anyone else shops regularly at Asda, but I've noticed that they have really changed their stock recently, and not for the better.

I was just watching the money programme on shopping, which said that Asda had cut back its named brands by 30%, which might explain why they only have Asda's own brand sanitary towels, which I really don't like (and have a discussion every time I buy some with someone else in the aisle, bemoaning the lack of products, and how poor their own version is).

I don't mind buying own brand, but not when it's not very good, and sometimes it really does need to be Heinz!! I've decided that I just can't accept poor quality sanitary towels, I don't know why it's annoyed me so much, but to take away almost all brands but their own just seems insulting to us as customers, do they think we wouldn't notice.

Oh dear, I need to be less obsessed with sanitary towels...lol.
graham Wednesday 1 July 2009 12.22am
When did Heinz extend their brand to 'lady things' ?
Whatever next, JCB bras, or Dulux nail varmish?
Jan the old one Wednesday 1 July 2009 7.06am
Not obsessing Zoe, just of things in a ladies life that should not let her down it's sanitary towels....are they v.a.t free just out of curiousity?
carmenes82 Wednesday 1 July 2009 10.09am
Shopped in Asda once - was not impressed with the quality of products/selection - so now always do my shop at Tesco. It's not the nicest Tesco store, but it does the job and they have all the familiar brands plus good value discounter ranges for things like loo roll, light bulbs, etc.

Chris
JGarcia Wednesday 1 July 2009 10.11am
I once saw a large tattood lady in that Asda who had a necklace on which said "Number 1 cu*t"

Nice.
Jan the old one Wednesday 1 July 2009 2.17pm
She meant cult obviously!
urbanite Wednesday 1 July 2009 4.24pm
ASDA is cheap because they ONLY stock limited ranges....much smaller than Tesco and Sainsbury's and use their buying power to buy larger stock of these limited ranges. You get what you pay for....and whilst I know nothing of the merits of different towels its not really ASDA'a fault but rather your's for buying them or shopping there rather than somewhere else. Don't be annoyed just shop elsewhere.
Zoe Wednesday 1 July 2009 10.58pm
I think that's a bit unfair urbanite, I was complaining that Asda has reduced their range of goods and it used to be much better. I presume it's a reaction to the recession, as they make more money off own brand goods.

My complaint is that I can't buy expensive items, they only have cheap ones. You do get what you pay for, and the cheap ones are no good.

Jan knows what I mean, they have to be the right lenght, and stick properly, or they are just no good...lol...I don't know if they are VAT free though, I thought the VAT was lifted on sanitary towels a couple of years ago, but maybe that was wishful thinking on my part.
Tom Pepper Wednesday 1 July 2009 11.03pm
JGarcia wrote:
I once saw a large tattood lady in that Asda who had a necklace on which said "Number 1 cu*t"
Nice.

Reading this post it started to dawn on me that there may be a connection between it and Zoe's original complaint but then I thought better of it.
Bel Ludovic Wednesday 1 July 2009 11.07pm
I actually prefer the OKR Asda to the OKR Tesco. I find the selection OK; it has the kind of poncey middle-class food I like to buy, just less of it compared to the aisles of crisps, etc. It stocks Total yoghurt 2% and mascarpone and organic Greek feta and has a good seafood selection... tick, tick, tick. And proper Irish brack! It sells that too. Yum.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions