Cycle accidents on Borough High St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 2 July 2009 9.54am
James tweeted about an accident on Borough High St last night (possibly between an HGV and cyclist, I think), and I've caught wind of another bicycle accident this morning.

Could any of these accidents have been prevented by bringing in the low emissions zone restrictions, thereby preventing large polluting vehicles in certain parts of the urban environment? Or, am I barking up the wrong tree? I'm not sure whether zone 1 is in the Low Emissions area, and if we are, I'm not sure whether many HGV vehicles have been converted so that they've become low emissions vehicles in any case.
Thursday 2 July 2009 10.08am
Borough High Street at the moment is a bit of a nightmare due to the roadworks causing major hold up-i've seen drivers acting stupidly cutting each other and cyclists up just to gain a yard or two and cyclists equally being stupid weaving in and out of slow moving traffic. The heat is not helping either.

Having said that there seems to be a regular occurance of accidents at the st George the Martyr junction and a lot also invoving buses when the road works are not going on so i don't think it is an emmissions issue more to do with bad road layout in general in this area
Thursday 2 July 2009 11.13am
I think you've given your own answer, Homeletter.

Emissions regulations control the pollution made by vehicles, and as a result of that they may mean that fewer large vehicles come into central London.

But unless you're then going to go on and say that large vehicles = more road accidents, then it won't have a link to frequency of accidents, will it?

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 2 July 2009 11.18am
Tragically if you are hit by a lorry - even if it only moves one yard in apparenlty stopped traffic - you are likley to come off worst. If you cannot see the drivers face - he cannot see you.

Either use the crossing or cross infront of a car - not a lorry. That applies to cyclists as well as pedestrians. Ironically faster moving traffic is often safer as it forces you to make more sensible decisions.
Thursday 2 July 2009 11.23am
I think anything over 7.5 tonnes will already be LEZ compliant, there is a whole fudge over smaller vehicles, which was intended to include Luton sized vans, and builders' Transits.
So no, any large vehicles are already compliant.
Thursday 2 July 2009 11.58am
Yesterday a young lady was hit by van at high speed on Druid street, I was on a 188 bus and saw a van screech to a halt followed by a thump. The young lady thought she was safe to cross the road as the bus was stationary (left hand lane), however there was fast approaching traffic on the right hand lane to turn right onto Tower Bridge road.

Unfortunate but a collision waiting to happen, with pedestrians not checking roads properly, and drivers who speed.

The lady was alive and screaming, but had severe injuries (please don't ask me what).
Thursday 2 July 2009 12.26pm
Ivanhoe, I wasn't positing that large vehicles are necessarily involved in more accidents with cyclists.

I was, however, speculating that they might be. I don't know the stats. It may be that the accidents in which larger vehicles are involved tend to be more serious or fatal.

And in any case, even if it did turn out that larger vehicles were involved in more accidents than smaller vehicles, we're still stuck with buses that have already been converted to have low emissions.
Thursday 2 July 2009 2.21pm
Homeletter wrote:
Ivanhoe, I wasn't positing that large vehicles are necessarily involved in more accidents with cyclists.
I was, however, speculating that they might be.
Well then. That's me told. I wholeheartedly apologise for not noticing the yawning chasm which separates a posit from a specul.

Thursday 2 July 2009 3.39pm
Sorry if that sounds ruder than I intended it to be, but my opening remarks were brief comments to open up discussion. I'm not attempting to attack anybody, as I'm trying to broaden the discussion and think through some of the issues re. bicycles, HGVs and cars etc. sharing road space.
Friday 3 July 2009 9.41am
Sorry too. I didn't take your comments as rudeness. My thoughts were along the lines of: "it's a bit of a cheap shot to paint a picture where lorries are the culprits, without any evidence. May as well link recent accidents with the recent good weather and say that the heat distracts people, leading to more accidents."

A discussion about the hows and whos of shared road space would be very interesting, but, imho, it's maybe not a great way to start one by pointing blamy fingers.

Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: