Fruit Cake & Patisserie

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 7 July 2009 12.24pm
Stale Cakes! Buyers beware; three times in the past fortnight I've been sold stale patisserie by Fruit Cakes & Patisserie at 50 Kennington Road. Each time have asked if freshly baked, been assured this is so, and gone home to in the hope of a delicious danish with coffee, only to have to bin the danish. Been too lazy to march back and demand a refund - so this morning tested the cake on the spot and, as usual of late, it was at least a day old. They refused to refund me and so - for the sake of 90p - lost a customer forever, plus I promised myself I'd warn others. So be warned. It's not the money, it's the principle. No on likes to be ripped off, especially in these cash-strapped times.
Tuesday 7 July 2009 1.23pm
Well done Anna, pity you havent listed this thread under "Dont buy from F&C Patisserie" so more people will look and take on board what you write. ABSOLUTELY these kind of establishments need naming and shaming.
Tuesday 7 July 2009 5.28pm
The powerful Mr Hatts can change the title of threads.

Contact him, see what he says.
Tuesday 7 July 2009 7.20pm
A first post pasting for the patisserie.
Tuesday 7 July 2009 8.38pm
Ta Jackie, must admit was so incensed. Met one of the local Walcot estate admin staff in the shop, she was also buying (hers a pretty burned-looking pain chocolat, all their goods looked burned today!). She tested a piece of the danish for me and also confirmed it was old. Even so, they shamelessly refused a refund. I'd never trust them again seeing they have told me three days out of 10 (working days) that their goods are fresh when they aren't - that's a 30% likelihood at any time of getting stale goods at FC & Patisserie. OK, am making lot of fuss for a 90p cake, but again, it's the principle, hate being ripped off even for small things like a nice pastry of a morning to have with coffee when working from home! Trouble is, it's my nearest bakery. Am going to have to walk further for treats from now on!
Wednesday 8 July 2009 6.58am
That I cant say. BUT you should ring Trading Standards and report them.
Wednesday 8 July 2009 8.22am
If you are a regular customer and you only noticed this problem recently, could it be that the warm weather dried out the pastries quickly?
Wednesday 8 July 2009 5.34pm
reminds me of all the weasel words about 'freshly squeezed' orange juice. You can call bottled orange juice freshly squeezed if it is less than three days old. maybe what they mean by freshly baked is in a similar vein?

on a lighter note i hope the rest of your diet is a bit healthier - at least 3 danish pastries in a fortnight admitted to (especially given all this hot weather). hope you are having fresh fruit and muesli the other days?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: