Looking for soya flour

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
aoibhneas Tuesday 7 July 2009 3.25pm
Anyone know if I can get soya flour anywhere on or near the Old Kent Road? Also looking for wheatgerm. Thanks.

Advertisement

graham Tuesday 7 July 2009 4.27pm
Hi,
try Baldwins at 171 Walworth Road (jnc Larcom St), are you after egg free recipes?
aoibhneas Tuesday 7 July 2009 5.25pm
Thanks, Graham. Didn't know of Baldwins' existence, I'll go looking. Nope, no problem with eggs, just looking for soya flour to see how it works as a part substitute for other flours in bread.
graham Tuesday 7 July 2009 6.12pm
I bought bags of spelt, soya, wholemeal and millet there and gave them all to my girlfriend on 14th Feb this year, apparently it was the first time she'd ever received a bunch of flours on St Valentine's Day.
beetroot Tuesday 7 July 2009 9.40pm
If you get a good bread, please share the recipe, aoibhneas! (how the hell am I supposed to pronounce that?)
I've used soya flour in shortcrust pastry and it was great. Think I might have used cheese too though.
graham you big silly!
aoibhneas Wednesday 8 July 2009 9.25am
I heard from friend about including soya flour in yeast bread (see below) but I want to see if it works in soda bread. If not writhing in agony I'll certainly share the recipe.

Thanks, Eve-nis (probably about the closest you'll get. Try saying it through your nose!).

Soya Flour Preparation, uses, and tips

Since soya flour can become packed in its bag or container, always stir
it before measuring. Soya flour can be used as-is, or, for a pleasant
nutty flavour, toast it before adding it to a recipe. Place the soya
flour in a dry skillet and stir over medium heat for a few minutes.

Soya flour can be used as a thickening agent in gravies and sauces, or
it can be added to baked goods. In baked products, soya adds tenderness
and moisture and helps to keep products from becoming stale. Products
containing soya flour brown more quickly, so it is sometimes necessary
to either shorten the baking time or decrease the temperature slightly.
For products that do not contain yeast, such as muffins and cookies,
replace up to 1/4 the total amount of flour called for in a recipe with
soya flour. For products that are yeast-raised, such as bread, replace
up to 15% of the flour called for in the recipe by placing two
tablespoons of soya flour in the cup before measuring each cup of flour.
Using more soya flour than this will cause breads to be too heavy and
dense, since soya flour is free of gluten, the protein that gives
structure to yeast-raised baked products.

Soya flour also makes a good egg substitute in baked products. Replace
one egg with 1 tablespoon of soya flour plus 1 tablespoon (15mL) of water.
beetroot Wednesday 8 July 2009 10.54am
This soda bread recipe can be used with soya four.
aoibhneas Wednesday 8 July 2009 1.06pm
Thanks, Beetroot. Interesting. More complicated than mine. I'm off to Walworth today. Will let you know how it turns out.
aoibhneas Wednesday 8 July 2009 3.33pm
Just in case this thread's got anyone all fired up I though I'd let people know that Baldwins is out of soya flour till next Monday's delivery. Also, none to be found on a return walk to the OKR via East St., all Chinese/Asian supermarkets having been tried. Got Soya Flakes in Baldwins, though, and it's a find in itself. Never knew it was there. Thanks again, Graham.
beetroot Wednesday 8 July 2009 4.43pm
Oh no ! I should have said, Holland and Barrett does it and there's one on Walworth road. I didn't think. Sorry. Actually I don't know for certain that branch stocks it. I got some from H&B in the City.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions