Mandela Way - New depot for Westminster refuse lorries

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Friday 10 July 2009 2.09pm
On the way home last night I met a nice lady who was collecting signatures for a petition against a new depot on Mandela Way which is intended to house 70 refuse lorries from Westminster. Given the impact on the area - noise, smell, additional congestion - I would urge people who live in the vicinity to email Southwark Planning or track down the lady with the petition (sorry, I didn't catch her name)!

Details here:

http://planningonline.southwarksites.com/planningonline2/AcolNetCGI.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=9532325

Chris
Friday 10 July 2009 8.21pm
This has been kept quiet - I hadn't heard anything about it!
Saturday 11 July 2009 8.45am
I live very close to the site and none of my estate have been consulted (I checked the list on their site). It would be awful to have this kind of operation in a housing area. Can you imagine the smell in the summer? YUK!! Surely there must be areas in Westminster for this kind of operation?
Saturday 11 July 2009 9.20am
To put it in perspective, though, this is a vehicle parking/maintenance location only - they're not proposing to process waste on the site.

So it may not be much different in its impact on local residents to the 50+ buses currently based there.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 13 July 2009 9.20am
Understand what your saying James, but I'm sure that each lorry will not be cleaned throughly everyday. Hence the stale smell lingering in the air.
Monday 13 July 2009 8.23pm
There's also a big difference (almost 50% increase) between a 50 bus vehicle facility and a 70 garbage truck facility.

I understood that a very nice storage and education facility by Tate Modern was planned for this road - i cant imagine they're too chuffed about this either.
Monday 7 September 2009 12.59pm
This is going to planning committee on Tuesday evening - officers' report here.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 7 September 2009 1.36pm
Why does it have to be Southwark I wonder? and if the lorries are to be cleaned,hosed out where will all the detritus go...down southwarks drainage system, and to kill the smell of the lorries they would have to use copious amounts of disinfectant.
My wheelbin stinks to high heaven with the full sun on it, flies maggots oh boy....
Monday 7 September 2009 4.32pm
The proposed Section 106 Agreement (a set of conditions obliging the applicant or developer to provide certain things in return) does list some mitigating benefits for Southwark:

* They need to pay for a new council staff member for 24 months to place unemployed people in construction jobs [cost 50,545.21 plus 13,883 towards the cost of managing this person]
* They need to pay for borough transport improvements (as set out in Southwark's Implementation Plan [cost 13,860]
* They also need to pay towards Public Realm Improvements (this is usually trees and things) [cost 16,912]

The other conditions are things like no waste is allowed to be brought onto or stored at the site, there must be a travel plan to encourage workers onto public transport and other usual stuff.

Worth noting that of the 70 vehicles not all are dustcarts - that figure includes street sweepers etc. The depot is currently in Lewisham so at least the journey's will be lessened - not good for Southwark but kind of good for emissions in general. Not sure why Westminster couldnt find land in their own borough, but unfortunately "who the applicant is" cannot be taken into account in a planning decision.

No connection to either LB Southwark or the Applicant, but I do work in regional government so spend half my life reading planning applications.

There are lots of objecters but most dont list "valid" (ie ones the committee is allowed to refuse on) objections. One thing that can still be done though is to encourage your local councillor to "beef up" the S106 so any distruption is minimized or eliminated.
Tuesday 8 September 2009 8.46am
Truthmonkey, sorry to be so dense,so would Westminster have to pay a site rental fee? and would the vehicles have to be washed and cleaned before they arrive? It just seems that Westminster is extracting the urine by soring their vehicles in another borough, a bit like civilised countries dumping their toxic waste on a poorer country!

and thank you for taking the time to explain love.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: