Francis James Kipps

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 11 July 2009 4.37pm
Does anybody know of a Francis James KIPPS (born 1868, died 1940)? He was a Labour councillor for Bermondsey from about 1920 and died in 1940. He would have been my Great Grandfather and I'd be very interested in learning about his life in Bermondsey. If anybody has any suggestions on how I could find out more about him I would be most grateful. Steve.
Tuesday 14 July 2009 3.20pm
incidentally, he lived at 21 Anchor Street, Bermondsey and worked at Edward Kipps & Co in Bermondsey Street.
Tuesday 14 July 2009 4.07pm
you could try:

- electoral registers at the local history library (or might show you/confirm he was registered to vote from the address specified and may also give a clue to anyone else living at the property
- the London Metropolitan Archive/the London Borough of Southwark may well hold minutes of council meetings at which he was present
- you might try searching local papers (the most notable of which is probably the South London Press which has been going for many, many years and certainly prior to your great grandfather's birth and if he was a local councillor it is probable that there is some mention of him in there and, if you're lucky, maybe even a photo.

Anchor Street is still present although I believe the houses were demolished many years ago; as I recall the road is taken up by local authority flats. However, the local studies library will probably have a photo/illustration of the house at 21 Anchor Street.

Hope that's of help. I'm sure there's other ways of finding out information but that's all I can think of. No doubt someone else will add anything I have omitted. Best of luck.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: