"The Event", Southwark Park, Shut Down After Stabbings

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Saturday 11 July 2009 8.34pm
I went along this evening to catch Alexander O'Neal as part of the free event in Southwark Park.

At about 8.30ish, only five minutes after I arrived, an organiser came on and announced they would have to finish - after two stabbings, with one boy in a bad way. The police said they couldn't carry on.

Another depressing knife incident.
Saturday 11 July 2009 9.17pm
Doubly depressing given that a mile and a half from Southwark Park, the family of David Idowu was today holding an event in Tabard Gardens to campaign against youth knife and gun crime.

Here's David's mother Grace and father Tim speaking earlier today:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 11 July 2009 9.46pm
what a joke..........the police should of stopped the whole thing when the boy was laying wounded on the grass................the policing was ****...........the kid was there for about 15 mins before the ambulance got there with just first aiders to help him........before this it kicked off about 2 times............so much more could of been done............i feel more could of been done to of prevented this from happening..............
Sunday 12 July 2009 2.14am
Why can't you **** enjoy yourselves without ruining it for everyone else.

Lived here for 30 years now and sick and tired or rudeboys running about with knives in their pockets thinking they can do what they want.

Armed robbery 15 years?????

Carrying a knife..... caution??

It's gotta change.
Sunday 12 July 2009 6.47am
More could have been done says Real-Crimes above. Like what?
Turn every event into a fortress with metal detectors and search everyone as they enter. Cancel all events.
No use just blaming the police and the ambulance and social services and everyone except the scum carrying the weapons and their hopeless parents. Being arrested is seen as an occupational hazard and even a badge of honour, and a custodial sentence is just a minor inconvenience.
There's no quick fix apart from jailing everyone carrying a knife for a minimum of 5 years and that's not going to happen.
Jac
Sunday 12 July 2009 8.48am
I think your right phoney, not sure what more the police could have done. Quite early in the afternoon we saw them cordon off a large gang and search them all. It seems to me , That they were kept busy alday by a small group that were clearly intent for a fight from the start
Sunday 12 July 2009 12.02pm
Real-Crimes wrote:
what a joke..........the police should of stopped the whole thing when the boy was laying wounded on the grass................the policing was ****...........the kid was there for about 15 mins before the ambulance got there with just first aiders to help him........before this it kicked off about 2 times............so much more could of been done............i feel more could of been done to of prevented this from happening..............
oh i see it was the fault of the police...how silly of them
Sunday 12 July 2009 1.09pm
your right it was not all down to the police...but even when i went to them myself telling them it was kicking off at the fair just after the stabbing they didnt wanna know..........also what i meant to put about the police stopping the event......they should of done it when the kid is on the grass fighting for his life.........not an hour later.......as for blaming parents..........a lot of parents have no idea what their kids are upto........i do agree aswell that if caught carrying a weapon give a 5 year sentance...bring back borstal not young offenders institue.....they have it to easy........more the goverments fault......but as adults n parents we are the ones who have to make our thoughts heard n understood.......we can all blame the teens but as grown ups if we see or hear something we should let police or whoever know.......but most are to scared to do so cos of come backs..............we all have to make a stand no matter what the age or colour of these teens..........
Sunday 12 July 2009 9.54pm
Real-Crimes wrote:
what a joke..........the police should of stopped the ........so much more could of been done............i feel more could of been done to of prevented this ..............

I realise that I'm going way out on a limb here, but am I the only one who finds it difficult to give credence to someone who cannot differentiate between the two words "of" and "have"?
Sunday 12 July 2009 10.02pm
PLEASE don't turn this thread into a squabble about spelling/grammar/language.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: