Cycle hire docking station for BHS

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 14 July 2009 9.11am
Application for 21 bike docking stations.
I think it's that section of footpath on BHS between Lant Street and Suffolk Street which is certainly wide enough.
Proposal: Installation on footway of cycle hire docking station measuring 18m long and 2m wide, for the Transport for London Cycle Hire Scheme containing a maximum of 21 docking points for scheme bicycles plus a terminal.
Statutory start date: 27/06/2009
Decision issued: This case has not yet been decided

What do you do if you arrive at a docking station and all the bays are full? I suppose you have to cycle to the next available station.
Tuesday 14 July 2009 10.20am
Wow! We're getting our complaints in nice and early.

[And another thing about that space station....I don't like the wallpaper.]

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 14 July 2009 1.59pm
TFL have also put in an application for a docking station for 49 bikes on Long Lane outside Empire Square - full details <a href="" target="_blank">here</a> - application no 09/AP/1209
Tuesday 14 July 2009 6.41pm
I think these bike hire systems are great - the one in Paris is fab - I will certainly be using the one in Empire Square when it is installed. Now, where did I put that cycling proficiency certificate from childhood.......?
Tuesday 14 July 2009 6.54pm
You can get 2 free, two-hour cycling lessons if you live or work in Southwark, I've done it and it's very good and quite useful. The instructor took me around the roundabout at the end of Jamaica Road, I was very pleased with myself (though I may still get off and walk!!).
Wednesday 15 July 2009 12.01pm
Planning application also in for a cycle hire docking station for 24 bikes in Webber Street, outside Stopher House.
Wednesday 15 July 2009 2.03pm
There are also requests for permission for

44 bays at 144 Southwark St
36 bays at Blue Fin Building, Southwark St

Sounds like there are going to be a lot of bikes. Any idea what it costs?
Wednesday 15 July 2009 8.02pm
Todays Evening Standard READ say there are 400 bike stations planned for Zone1 and they will be 300 metres from each other.
Boris ahs pledged to spend 113 million this year on cycling facilities including 12 bike super-highways.
Thursday 16 July 2009 12.00pm
"Camden and Westminster also want to refuse planning permission because
they say the docking stations will be too close to homes, block entrances and damage tree roots."

I'm sure you could say the same about cars!
Thursday 16 July 2009 2.27pm
So, based on what we've seen Southwark decide in other forum threads, what do we think Southwark's position will be?

Cycle racks contain no affordable homes, therefore all approved?

Cycle racks are too close to Elephant and will detract from the redevelopment scheme, therefore rejected?

Decision delayed until 2018 while they discuss with the development partner?

Perhaps we could encourage some bargaining between Southwark and TfL where the cycle racks only get approved once the removal of the southern roundabout at Elephant has been completed?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: