Aylwin Estate

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wilma Sunday 15 February 2004 4.19pm
Can anyone tell me what the aylwin estate is like? I'm thinking of moving to one of the neighbouring streets and was wondering if it's a troublespot or not. It looks like a quiet, well kept estate, but you can't really tell just by looks alone....
Jan Lane Monday 16 February 2004 9.22am
do you mean the small block in grange walk?

jan
Wilma Monday 16 February 2004 9.43am
Hi Jan
I think there are 2 parts of it - there's a small block on grange walk, and there's about 3 or 4 much bigger blocks at the end of grange walk at the corner of fendall street. It's the big blocks I was worried about...
Jan Lane Monday 16 February 2004 10.12am
Wilma, one of my daughters lived in Grange Walk, in the small red brick block, there was no trouble there...( on the left going down from Tower Bridge Road)

jan
red bus Monday 16 February 2004 1.32pm

Wilma - don't undersell your own judgement - I think you can tell by the looks of an estate (mind you, I also judge books by their covers).

Take a walk around at night and see what it is like - you can also try the police (they are often a bit non-commital, but occasionally helpful).
Wilma Monday 16 February 2004 3.05pm
Thanks red bus - I'll try the cops and see what they say. I live a long way from southwark so it's going to be a bit tricky to visit the estate at night. It'd be great if it was possible to get crime stats for small areas - don't suppose anyone knows how/where this kind of info could be found...?
fedora Monday 16 February 2004 8.43pm
Wilma,

try http://www.upmystreet.com/

You need to type in the postcode (which the estate agent should have) and then you'll get a breakdown of the area according to crime rates, demographic profile, pollution etc etc etc. It's quite useful, at least in terms of getting a more analytical sense of what you're buying into.
The Lady Miss Jo Jo Monday 16 February 2004 10.24pm
I live just over the road from that estate and have never seen or heard any trouble. Of course, there was that murder in the flats just over the other side of Abbey Street from the Aylwin Estate last year, but it doesn't seem as if that was a random thing (obviously, that doesn't make it okay, but unrandom murder is easier to deal with than random murder, if you see what I mean - you don't get that "Oh my God - it could have been me!" reaction to it.)

I feel really safe round here, and am happy to walk along the streets on my own at night, unlike when I lived in the green suburbs of Ealing, which was full of random rapes and murders and where I wouldn't have walked along the Uxbridge Road alone at night if you paid me.

Basically, it's a nice area, and as safe as anywhere in London. And possibly safer than a lot of places in London.
Harry Tuesday 17 February 2004 9.47am
Been here 10 years, Bermondsey Squarish and never had any bother. The only thing I fear is that if I stand still too long someone will turn me into a luxury flat.
fedora Tuesday 17 February 2004 11.53am
Yeah, seconded. I live in an ex-council building just off the Old Kent Rd (near the Tower Bridge roundabout) and I've never had any bother. I am a woman living alone.

One thing that would be worth doing is chatting to some people who live there - try hanging around and stopping people in the street, or ask in local stores. I did that and it's a great way of getting past your own paranoias (or seeing if your hunches are correct.)

Post edited (17 Feb 04 11:55)

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions