Local cupcake maker needed

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 14 July 2009 5.55pm
I am having a childrens party and want about 50 cupcakes and other little bits and bobs.
I don't want to travel far to pick them up or pay extortionate delivery charges.
The party will be in Kennington Lane.

Any suggestions?
Wednesday 15 July 2009 11.31am
You could try a cake shop in Walworth Road, (opposite G Baldwin's the herbalist/healthfood shop but a little further south). Think it's called Arif's (maybe someone else on the forum could confirm). Not sure if they do cup cakes but they do make amazing birthday cakes etc in-house at a reasonable price so I'm sure they'd manage 50 cup cakes.
Thursday 16 July 2009 11.45am
Hi there

have you found someone to bake your cupcakes yet? If not let me know.
Thursday 16 July 2009 1.29pm
Try the brilliant Lara Morley - eatme@cakeholelondon.com

0777 3393 141

She is making rainbow cupcakes for my wedding.
Monday 20 July 2009 6.34pm
Estelle makes lovely cupcakes for my cafe The Electric Elephant in SE17.
Her phone number is 07932 898451
Monday 20 July 2009 9.36pm
Thanks for your replies - I have a few leads to go on now. I am going to pop down to the farmers market at Oval on Saturday to see the Cakehole and take it from there.

I have been to Arifs loads of times and his fresh fruit creamy cakes are lovely.
Tuesday 21 July 2009 10.48pm
my mum makes lovely cakes.......let me know how u get on......sure she wud only ask u get the ingrediants......
Wednesday 22 July 2009 11.27am
seeing real-crimes name on this thread, made me think to myself. Is it a crime that we have adopted the American name for these cakes, what wrong with calling them fairy cakes?
Wednesday 22 July 2009 12.33pm
I'm with you there, Jac, and have been mildly niggled by this for a while.

To me, cupcakes were (and may still be) those ones made by Lyons or Mr Kipling that came in either chocolate or lemon/orange with about 1/4" amazing hard-but-soft icing completely covering the sponge. The cases were quite robust foil in which the icing would form delicious clumps in each pleat, and many a happy few minutes were spent digging it out with the tongue.

They could only be bought - never made at home...

Wednesday 29 July 2009 10.07am
Thanks for the recommendation, i have gone with Lara at Cakehole and she is doing the entire catering for the party now.

The cupcake name issue - in my opinion is the type of icing on the top. We never had the big swirly icing with decorations that sometimes is a big as the cake itself.
The closest UK wise I think would be a butterfly cake.
The flat iced cakes I would not describe as cupcakes.

So I kind of agree.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: