Tanner Street Park redesign

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 21 July 2009 11.25am
Hello all,

Walking home last night down Bermondsey St I stopped for a wee look at the plans for the refurbishment of Tanner St gardens, and another garden that I didn't know so well (I think St John's??).

Anyway, I don't know if I am just being a curmudgeonly old git but I didn't like any of the plans! They didn't exactly look cutting edge or exciting in anyway but most disappointingly they were all aimed at kids! Now I know it is good to encourage children to play in parks but do we need another 'adventure playground' that will look terrible in a couple of years? Are there all that many children in this area? And if there are could they not just use the adventure park in Leather Market St Gardens?

My only gripe about living in this area is the lack of green spaces, 'adults' need parks too! If we lose Tanner St Gardens to another underused concrete children's playground where am I supposed to go to enjoy the sun when it shines!?

Does anyone know anything about these plans? Can we as residents have any input or must we just give into the fact that we are going to lose what little green space we have?

Or should I just shut up, buy a pipe and start reading the Daily Mail?
Tuesday 21 July 2009 11.46am
There was a drop-in yesterday for people to give their opinions. There's a questionnaire here on Southwark council's site.
Tuesday 21 July 2009 1.53pm
Tanner Street Park seems great as it is to me - why does it need a redesign at all???!!!!
Tuesday 21 July 2009 2.35pm
Seems to me they only want to redesign the unused eastern part of it which is concreted over. It appears the main part of the park will remain as it is
Tuesday 21 July 2009 3.02pm
well if that is true mr dog that would be great, but that's not the impression i got when i spoke to them last night...but then i could be completely wrong!
Tuesday 21 July 2009 5.24pm
Yes I think it's very unclear, not surprisingly.
It says they plan to do the kids thing but then asks what should be in the concreted space. If the kids thing is in the concreted space then great.

According to my copy of The Story of Bermondsey by Mary Boast, the bit of old building in one of the images is the top of the tower of St Olave's church which stood on Tooley St (a corruption of st. Olaves Street), not a water fountain as everyone I point it out to thinks. I hope it's looked after whatever they do.
Tuesday 21 July 2009 11.33pm
it's only for the far, very very unused concreted area in the back behind the tennis courts so no need to get worried...
Wednesday 22 July 2009 9.42am
I would urge people to have their say on this issue and not be complacent about Southwark's intentions.

I value what little communal green space exists in SE1 and do not wish to see it hi-jacked for any reason.

Given the ambiguous nature of the questionnaire (see link below), it seems prudent to make my position clear to the Council. My position on Tanner Street is : green over the tarmac area, yes, fill up the park with land-scaping and street-furniture, no.

Here is the reference page on the Southwark website (you will need to print out, fill in and post your comments, since the forms are not configured for online).

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/YourServices/RegenerationSection/banksideimprovements/improving/bermondseyparks

On a broader topic, Southwark's tendency to position their "inclusive" pop-in discussions on Monday afternoons (a similar "walk-about" to discuss Bermondsey Street traffic was also held in the middle of a working day) seems specifically designed to exclude the majority of working residents (who, after all, end up paying for these things through national and local taxes).

A nod to Trevor, whose thread "Improving Bermondsey Local Parks" on this forum on 14th July first drew attention to this scheme.
Wednesday 22 July 2009 9.52am
ceity slicker wrote:

Here is the reference page on the Southwark website (you will need to print out, fill in and post your comments, since the forms are not configured for online).

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/YourServices/RegenerationSection/banksideimprovements/improving/bermondseyparks

On a broader topic, Southwark's tendency to position their "inclusive" pop-in discussions on Monday afternoons (a similar "walk-about" to discuss Bermondsey Street traffic was also held in the middle of a working day) seems specifically designed to exclude the majority of working residents (who, after all, end up paying for these things through national and local taxes).

Southwark's website says the drop-in sessions were from 4pm till 7pm. It could do with being on a bit later but it's not only in the afternoon.
I have no problem filling in the form and sending it to the email address provided, though they could have been clearer, saying 'return it via the email below' or something.
Wednesday 22 July 2009 12.39pm
beetroot,

Your observations are spot on.

The Southwark website now allows on-line responses, which makes communicating much simpler(Hurray - it did not 10 days ago!)

And the consultation was from 4-7pm, which was much more inclusive (although I seem to recall that the original time advertised on the Tanner Street park noticeboard was an early afternoon thing).

Always happy to note improvements from Southwark Council !
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: