New Traffic Lights for Tower Bridge Rd at Tanner Street - REQUEST

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 24 July 2009 12.05am
Living locally to Bermondsey Street area, i use the junction at Tower Bridge Road and Tanner Street to come and go by car. I have seen and experienced many near misses there due to the congested traffic build up and/or the speed at which vehicles travel when not busy.

I am putting a request in to Transport For London, recommending that they install a full set of traffic lights at the junction, thus replacing the dangerous and inadequate pedestrian crossing that exists presently to the south of Tanner Street and offering a controlled and safer opportunity for everyone using that junction.

Anyone have any comments that i could add to my formal request? I have already mentioned it to TFL through their website, but i am going to put together an email with a couple of images perhaps, just to try to seal the deal so they can't say, 'NO'.

Thanks,

Austin
Friday 24 July 2009 7.58am
Make Tanner Street a No Entry road from Tower Bridge Road. This would cut down on a load of rat running traffic in the area too.
Friday 24 July 2009 11.22am
urbanite wrote:
Make Tanner Street a No Entry road from Tower Bridge Road. This would cut down on a load of rat running traffic in the area too.

So if someone wished to drive from, e.g. Jamaica Road to Leathermarket St./Bermondsey St., instead of taking Abbey St., Druid St., Tanner St., crossing Tower Bridge Rd. to the continuation of Tanner St. thence to Bermondsey St. they would have to sit in a long line of traffic in Abbey St., cross TBR into Long Lane then turn right into presumably another long line going up Bermondsey St.
Why stop with Tanner St? How about closing ALL side streets, then you can sit in long lines of traffic studying your fingernails for hours?
I never have any trouble entering or exiting Tanner St. from TBR, should I be inconvenienced because someone else is unable to negotiate London's roads?
Please do not take this personally, I have to drive all over London daily in order to make a living and road closures and unnecessary restrictions are anathema to me.
Friday 24 July 2009 11.45am
How about a complete radical re-think?
"Shared Space"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_space
Friday 24 July 2009 1.03pm
So if someone wished to drive from, e.g. Jamaica Road to Leathermarket St./Bermondsey St., instead of taking Abbey St., Druid St., Tanner St., crossing Tower Bridge Rd. to the continuation of Tanner St. thence to Bermondsey St. they would have to sit in a long line of traffic in Abbey St., cross TBR into Long Lane then turn right into presumably another long line going up Bermondsey St.

And if you live in some of those streets the through traffic from completely unsuitable HGVs is much more of a pain in the neck than it would be to sit in a bit of traffic....as I do and would happily make that sacrifice.
Friday 24 July 2009 2.51pm
Austin E wrote:
Living locally to Bermondsey Street area, i use the junction at Tower Bridge Road and Tanner Street to come and go by car. I have seen and experienced many near misses there due to the congested traffic build up and/or the speed at which vehicles travel when not busy.
I am putting a request in to Transport For London, recommending that they install a full set of traffic lights at the junction, thus replacing the dangerous and inadequate pedestrian crossing that exists presently to the south of Tanner Street and offering a controlled and safer opportunity for everyone using that junction.

Anyone have any comments that i could add to my formal request? I have already mentioned it to TFL through their website, but i am going to put together an email with a couple of images perhaps, just to try to seal the deal so they can't say, 'NO'.

Thanks,

Austin

Noooooooooo, please no more traffic lights. There is nothing wrong with this junction either turning off TBR into Tanner or turning out of Tanner onto TBR. The last thing we need is another congestion causing device holding up the Southbound Bridge traffic. Why can't people simply learn to navigate a junction properly?? I (for one) would definitely oppose such an expensive waste of CT payers cash.
Friday 24 July 2009 4.47pm
I personally can't really see what there's a problem with particular junction... there's plenty of visibility...
Saturday 25 July 2009 9.29am
I agree... no more traffic lights please!!! and can someone please get rid of all the bloody speed bumps too!?
Saturday 25 July 2009 11.29am
@phraze - amen to that.
Sunday 26 July 2009 12.56pm
If anywhere needs a pedestrian crossing it is further down on Tower Bridge Road by the junction of Abbey Street infront of Bermondsey Square. It's so dangerous and I'm sure there have been many near misses and accidents over the years.
I normally try to run to the traffic island but even that doesn't seem too safe as you have to time it just right between the lights changing.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network