What's your favourite road name in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8
Friday 24 July 2009 2.21pm
Cardinal Bourne Street has to be mine.
Friday 24 July 2009 2.34pm
The Hutch wrote:
Cardinal Bourne Street has to be mine.
Why's that then? I just looked him up on Wikipedia and I think they should rename the road immediately.
Friday 24 July 2009 3.02pm
Black Horse Court...Law Street....Deverell street...in fact does Southwark have a department than explains the origins of street names?
Friday 24 July 2009 3.25pm
Cardinal Bourne Street - No other reason than it's a unusual name for a road. No underlying reason.
Friday 24 July 2009 3.33pm
You might like Cardinal Cap Ally too!
Friday 24 July 2009 3.41pm
Sentiment wins the day with me...It has to be the Old Kent Road!
There are some strange ones about. Just off of the A127 in Southend there is a 'Hobleythick Lane.' But that can't hold a candle to 'Whip-ma-whop-ma-gate,' in York!
This one's not for the sensitive or the prudish, but Grope St. has a little history behind it.
You have been warned!
Friday 24 July 2009 3.53pm
Just remebered anothoer strange one...'French Modern Court,' in the City of London. Where did that one come from?
Friday 24 July 2009 4.13pm
There was a very rude name indeed just off Cock Lane in Smithfield - I dursn't name it here - as well as the one that the Victorians re-named Passing Alley.

Incidentally, Cock Lane was the place where people used to come to witness the haunting by one "Scratching Fanny" in the 18th C. Oddly enough, it turned out to be a fraud. Happy days!
Friday 24 July 2009 5.22pm
Maggie Blake's Cause is an excellent example of what people can achieve.

Backstory here
Friday 24 July 2009 5.28pm
I think you and I are hinting at the same street name, JayBee. Most people who read this will have got the message by now, but for those who haven't, Southwark was the epicentre for prostitution in London back in the middle ages and the authorities at that time turned a blind eye to it. So the profession quickly spread to Smithfield, Clerkenwell etc. I've always been fascinated by place names as well as surnames and when I lived in Linclnshire some years ago there was a place called 'Hop Pole.' Having spent many a September hop picking in Kent as a kid I knew that a hop pole was an upright pole that supported the overhead wires to which the strings were attatched for the climbing hop bines to grow up. (Stop yawning you lot!) However, Lincolnshire had never seen a hop bine. Tulips, dafoldils, potatoes and sugar beet yes, but not hops.So I made some enquiries. It tuned out that the original intended name was 'Hop Hole,' becuase it was 'a hop and a skip' from one water hole to the next in that village. The lad they sent to put the sign up in the distant pass wasn't very bright and misheard the instruction. Hence 'Hop Pole.'
I kid you not!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: