Swine flu

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 27 July 2009 7.30am
guys and gals , we (ambulance service peeps) know this swine flu thing is kinda scary . i am speaking here by myself NOT on behalf of any ambulance service. But please understand the media is hyping this up out of all proportion ! yes , 700 people have died worldwide , but on average 20,000 people die of "normal" flu every year in the UK . yes it is a nastier version of flu and causes more inflammation throughout the body , and will reach lower down into the lungs - hence why you will feel like crap , but unless you have something like asthma or COAD a few asprin (asprin reduces inflammation) and lots and lots of fluids will see you ok . PLEASE call us if worried though , i don't want to put anyone off calling 999 if worried , but to be honest we are busy at the best of times in the SE1 area and want to give you the best care possible.We can't do this if we are continually going to people with a sore throat and a runny nose though - if you have "man-flu" though , you have my deepest sympathy ;)

(
Monday 27 July 2009 7.41am
I agree Ninja999, I know I am gonna regret saying this I never get colds or flu! I am used to my G.P. trying to perasuade me to have a flu jab, but the other day he even tried to persuade me to have a pneumonia jab....I never get chesty coughs either.. I told him I don't believe in them for healthy people. Do G.P's get a bonus for making people have these jabs?
Several years ago my husband, mother and sister in law all had flu jabs, then was ill for three weeks after. If these jabs have to be prepared so far in advance how can they predict what type of flu will affect the population?
Monday 27 July 2009 8.30am
nope GP's dont get any sorta bonus for those flu jabs.. they are normally offered to the elderly or those with lung conditions such as asthma . i can't remeember if flu jabs are a "live" vaccine , in other words they give you a small dose of an illness so your body can learn to fight it and become resistant .
Monday 27 July 2009 10.34am
Jan

i normally suffer from coughs and colds through the winter (having a little bug carrier who pick them up at school does not help) - my firm offfers flu jabs and i must admit since having them i have not had problems with colds or flu -famous last words i bet!

the flu jab is normally for the ones they know about or expect to be around so when a new strain such as swine flu comes along the jab does not help.
Monday 27 July 2009 10.49am
Dee Dee,

that's probably why my immune system is pretty good, having had the little bug carriers and their friends and assorted neices and nephews over the years!

I'd rather have those years back than be flu free now!....:-)
Monday 27 July 2009 12.26pm
I always have the seasonal flu jab, being asthmatic and having had horrible flu in the past. I don't think the flu vaccine is live - at least last years certainly wasn't as I was in the early stages of pregnancy when I had it and there was lots of checking before they'd give it to me. I've never had a reaction to the vaccine.

Ninja999 - I hope you don't get too many daft calls from people with mild viruses, I admire your patience!

K
Monday 27 July 2009 5.06pm
I believe its what's referred to as a 'Quality Outcome'...
Monday 27 July 2009 10.20pm
kirsty ,

so far this week i have been to numerous "swine flu" calls....a few RTA's , breathing probs and one guy with a beer bottle stuck in the place where the sun don't shine

been doin this job for 15 years and still fascinates me what peeps do to there bodies lol :)
Tuesday 28 July 2009 6.59am
did he drink the beer first! lol...
Tuesday 28 July 2009 8.16pm
lol, I do hope so, what a horrible waste of beer.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: