Good PC repairs near E&C

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 28 July 2009 9.56pm
Hello

Can anyone recommend someone who will diagnose my ailing PC and give me an honest quote? I'm pretty sure I've been fleeced in the past on account of my computer illiteracy. Happy to carry it to a shop.

Cheers!
Wednesday 29 July 2009 10.02am
There's a shop, i think it's called Modern Computers, near the top of the Old Kent Road (not far from Bricklayers' Arms, on the left if you're coming from there). Bunch of friendly young guys, seemed pretty honest and competent to me. I had terrible trouble with some spyware on my laptop - they said the only thing to do would be to re-format it, they wouldn't be able to get it off. I ran it past a friend of mine who runs an IT business, and he said the fact they said that suggested they knew what they were doing. if they were cowboys they would have pretended to know and not admitted that the only thing to be done was re-formatting.

which is a long way of saying i'd happily take my computer back there if i had probs.
Wednesday 29 July 2009 12.47pm
Cheers Tom - will try that out.
Wednesday 5 August 2009 12.26pm
TomDV wrote:
.... seemed pretty honest and competent to me. I had terrible trouble with some spyware on my laptop - they said the only thing to do would be to re-format it, they wouldn't be able to get it off. I ran it past a friend of mine who runs an IT business, and he said the fact they said that suggested they knew what they were doing. if they were cowboys they would have pretended to know and not admitted that the only thing to be done was re-formatting.
lololol. they probably said re-format ie; rebuild the software, as they did not have enough experience to remove the spyware!
and before you shoot me down, I am very qualified in the field of IT.
Wednesday 5 August 2009 1.37pm
Bloggie wrote:
TomDV wrote:
.... seemed pretty honest and competent to me. I had terrible trouble with some spyware on my laptop - they said the only thing to do would be to re-format it, they wouldn't be able to get it off. I ran it past a friend of mine who runs an IT business, and he said the fact they said that suggested they knew what they were doing. if they were cowboys they would have pretended to know and not admitted that the only thing to be done was re-formatting.
lololol. they probably said re-format ie; rebuild the software, as they did not have enough experience to remove the spyware!
and before you shoot me down, I am very qualified in the field of IT.

I'm not going to shoot you down, Bloggie. that was really the point made by my IT friend - but in their favour. when i told them what the spyware was, they said it was a very difficult one that they had tried to get off other computers in the past, but it often came back. the only thing that absolutely worked for sure was re-formatting. my friend's point was that they were obviously being upfront about their limitations, and therefore honest. rather than pretending they could sort it, only for me to return time after time for them to re-do something they didn't do properly - each time with them charging me again and again. with my level of IT expertise (not a lot) they could have got away with that, as i wouldn't know whether it was their fault the spyware was still on, or my fault for letting it back on.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: