New sign on Waterloo Bridge?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 31 July 2009 9.51am
Just spotted last night as I was coming south over the bridge (maybe it's been there for a while but I just hadn't noticed it) a sign on the south east side just past the bus stop which reads, "Welcome to Lambeth".

Now, I know the dividing line between Southwark and Lambeth runs north to south along the Waterloo Road but I thought everything on the east side was Southwark. If that's the case, this new sign is on the wrong side of the road. In fact, IMHO, it's just a pointless waste of money.

Nonetheless, I would be grateful if someone could clarify...
Friday 31 July 2009 10.00am
The border by the river is just by the Oxo Tower rather than by Waterloo Bridge. The border never actually runs along Waterloo Road though it crosses it by the junction with Morley Street.
Friday 31 July 2009 1.03pm
yep, definitely a waste of money. it has been there a few weeks now, and there is another one to complement it on the other side of the road on Waterloo Road.
Friday 31 July 2009 1.13pm
the metro ran a story saying it cost 1,000 and the council have ordered 35 of them!

most boroughs, like neighbouring southwark, have a policy of reducing street clutter - it seems lambeth want to add to it!
Friday 31 July 2009 1.31pm
Neil's right about the border cutting Waterloo Road. You can tell where it is because the Lambeth end has more space-age streetlights.
Friday 31 July 2009 2.38pm
INDOMIE wrote:
most boroughs, like neighbouring southwark, have a policy of reducing street clutter - it seems lambeth want to add to it!

Though Southwark has "welcome to Borough and Bankside" type signs for most of its community council areas which seems a bit wasteful as noone really knows what a community council area is and they probably wont last very long (in the grand scheme of things) anyway.
Friday 31 July 2009 10.07pm
I had been about to write:

"I think insult is added to injury for Lambeth council tax payers that we are paying a thousand pounds a time for such badly designed signs!

Someone has just taken Lambeth's house style designed for paper communication and imagined that it will work for large scale signage."

But then I recalled that the absurd columnist Melissa Kite - the Spectator's answer to Polly Filler - thinks that the one at the end of her street in Balham is a personal affront, so maybe the new signs do have their good points after all.
Monday 10 August 2009 8.40pm
I have started a petition to remove these eyesores. Please take the time to show your feelings.

Remove the Signs

Thanks
Saturday 22 August 2009 11.01am
I think most people will understand that I was writing about this sign because I objected to it on behalf of the whole community. There are several petitions now up and running and I would urge residents to sign them because this is a clear case of overbearing bureaucracy and rather sinister politicising of neighbourhoods by Lambeth - these are streets where people live, not municipal areas to be labelled with a political banner - not to mention a criminal waste of OUR money in a recession! Thanks, Melissa
Wednesday 3 November 2010 4.52pm
One of the signs has already gone:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/4918

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: