New cross greyhound track

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 31 July 2009 1.38pm
Can anyone tell me when the dog track at New Cross finally closed? I used to go with a couple of mates twice a week, (Thursdays and Saturdays,) from 1963 'til 1968 and it was thriving at that time. I believe it was still going strong when I moved away in the autumn of 1969. There were some great greyhounds running there in those days: 'Muswell Matador', 'Lisroe Jack,' and a dog called 'Halfepenny King,' a hurdler, who went on to win the grehound Grand National. We would get the bus there but, win or lose, we always walked home so that we could discuss at length the evenings racing. We always called in at the 'Hole in the wall,' in Dunton Road for some of Goergie's fagotts and peas pudding, (if we had any money left!)
Friday 31 July 2009 11.30pm
According to Wikipedia it was demolished in 1975, and Millwall football ground were going to develop it but the plans fell through. It's now a park. I had a look on Google maps and if you click on satellite view you can see the shape of it. It also used to be a speedway track and my great aunt and her husband used to be very keen speedway fans and would have gone there regularly.
Sunday 2 August 2009 7.57am
I thinck it is 1975. And I agree, I love greyhound racing (espetialy betting)
Sunday 2 August 2009 2.08pm
is there still a track at wimbledon and at walthamstow?
Sunday 2 August 2009 2.46pm
Wimbledon is. as far as I know, still going strong and the Greyhound Derby is still run there. Sadly, Walthamstow closed a year ago this month for, I believe, residential developemnet. The last I heard the developers were, (probably after a lot of local pressure,) retaining the art deco facade which was at the entrance to the stadium. (It could well be Grade 11 listed anyway.)I was driving my car several motnhs ago and, whilst doing a bit of chanel hopping, I tuned to Radio 4. I just caught the end of a documentry about the last night at Walthamstow Stadium. Interviews with punters, trainers, bookies etc. I haven't been dog racing for donkey's years, but hearing those old familiar sounds took me right back. It was very atmospheric. I was disapointed that I hadn't tuned in earlier. I would have loved to have heard the full prog.
Monday 3 August 2009 1.22pm
Hi Chalky The programme re Walthamstow dog track is being repeated tonight(Monday 3rd August) on Radio 4 at 11-30 pm untill Midnight. A bit late but still another chance to catch up with it Cheers Rich
Monday 3 August 2009 6.10pm
Thanks, Richard. Just my luck. I'm going fishing tomorrow and by ten o'clock tonight I will be tucked up in my little wooden bed. But my wife says I should be able to catch it on the internet tomorrow night.So thanks again.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: