Rats with wings How to get rid?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 31 July 2009 11.31pm
Pigeons.

Sometimes they wake me at stupid oclock in the morning with thier hrrooing, stalking the handrail of my balcony by my bedroom and sometimes pacing up and down the balcony, popping into the bamboo maybe looking for somewhere to lay eggs. Very annoying.

How do I keep them off?

Housing associating rep said they dont like bleach so tried that but only worked for a day or so.

I have noticed that theyve not been around at all while fragerant lilies have been in flower on tichie balcony. Is this coincidence? Do they hate the smell of lillies? Or are they just doing summer pigeon stuff elsewhere?

Anyway my point is does anyone have any deadcert pigeon deterrents that isnt unsightly spikey tnings?
Saturday 1 August 2009 2.07am
There's a thing called a scarecrow or something which is a movement activated rotating water shooter for deterring cats. You need an outside tap though for the hosepipe or I would get one for all the cats that c*** in my garden. If your balcony is secure you could feed a hose pipe through a window.

It's either that or sit there with a supersoaker or an air gun which might be satisfying, but time consuming.
Saturday 1 August 2009 7.31am
Some people say a Hawk Sillhouette works. Others say it doesn't. I can't see any point in buying one when you can draw one on card. If you give it a go please report. I'm very interested to know if it works.
Saturday 1 August 2009 11.15am
Electrify your handrail or buy a plastic owl and attach it to the rail or just amuse yourself by trying to swat them with a tennis racket.
Monday 3 August 2009 11.45am
get some of them spikes - "spike off" or something like that I thnk they're called. Think you can buy them pretty cheaply though.

Otherwise tell the housing association rep that these birds are constituting a statutory nuisance and that, pursuant to the Environmental Protection Act 1990, they should take action to remedy said nuisance. The housing association need to get it sorted.
Monday 3 August 2009 5.04pm
The only problem with the housing association being involved is that they will then look at erecting netting across the entire balconies as the cheapest option and I can't imagine that as a solution many would favour.
Monday 3 August 2009 8.37pm
I put metal spikes on the wall around the balcony (bought from a hardware store and stuck on with a glue gun) and stuck metal spikes (made from metal coat hangers) in plant pots. This has worked and fortunately has not deterred the wren and blue tit that visits occasionally.
Tuesday 4 August 2009 6.06am
Doesn't look very attractive though does it?
Si
Tuesday 4 August 2009 9.23pm
Buy a plastic owl decoy. They work well apparently.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: