Traffic Restrictions along St Thomas St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 3 August 2009 6.59pm
A month ago I asked TfL about how long the traffic restrictions along St Thomas St at London Bridge would last. Today I was a bit disconcerted to get the following reply, which might surprise others as well [emphasis mine]:

Thank you for your query dated 10 July 2009 regarding the current restrictions at St Thomas Street due to the Shard Development.

I regret any inconvenience caused by these works. I appreciate that this is a busy route and any works in the area can cause some delay.

There are other activities, such as the construction of London Bridge Place and construction of Thameslink 2000, as well as utility works that are likely to prolong the one way working of St Thomas Street. This system may be for a considerable period of time and possibly until late 2011 or early 2012.

We understand that construction of major developments in an area where there is limited road space can cause major problems to road users. Our aim is to ensure that any impacts are mitigated as much as reasonable practicable. We have tried our best to effectively co-ordinate all these works in order to maximise network capacity.

We will continue to monitor all the works in the London Bridge area to ensure adequate measures are introduced to reduce congestion and delays.

Your continued patience whilst these works are carried out is greatly appreciated. If you have any further queries with which I can be of assistance please feel free to contact me.

Yours sincerely

Gemma Jacob
Customer Service Advisor - London Streets
Transport for London
Surface Transport Communications
LONDONSTREETS@tfl.gov.uk

Something for Gavin Smith to complain about!
Tuesday 4 August 2009 9.06am
it's very flattering, Possel, that you were thinking of me as you posted that.

However, I am not at all fussed what they do they with St Thomas' Street (well as long as they leave the old bit of Guy's and surrounds alone). It is probably best that it is closed because it is one of the most dangerous roads I can think of. I have a big problem with the HUGE potholes that exist along it - especially in between McDonald's and Stainer Street. Perhaps somewhat foolishly, I still ride up here on my bike in the mornings (even though it is closed to traffic going towards BHS) and the potholes are very dangerous. It is possible to get ‘caught' inside them and in the rain it is very precarious - almost like you're waiting to fall off. Given that those lorries are spending all day cleaning the road and there are lots of builders there anyway, perhaps the people building the Shard might like to resurface the road to make it safe.

On a related note, I hit a pedestrian as I was cycling along St Thomas's Street a couple of years back - she was too busy guzzling her bottle of Lucozade to look before walking out into the road - and I went straight into her. That's another story though…
Tuesday 4 August 2009 8.47pm
I spoke to the good folks at Team London Bridge a few weeks after the one-way restrictions were imposed on St Thomas St. I asked them to get in touch with TFL (which they agreed to do) so that they could re-phase the traffic lights at the top of Duke Hill St which is taking all the extra west bound traffic from St Thomas St which is being diverted down the Stainer St tunnel. I thik TFL must have taken some action as the massive traffic jams appear to have eased over the last few weeks.

If you are heading west down Crucifix Lane and want a good shortcut to avoid being redirected up the Stainer St tunnel then you can whizz round the back of Guys by turning off at Snowfields and then on to Newcomen St. It comes out a little way down Borough High St and you can then turn right to join back up with Southwark Street. So much quicker!
Tuesday 4 August 2009 9.36pm
Scott77 wrote:

If you are heading west down Crucifix Lane and want a good shortcut to avoid being redirected up the Stainer St tunnel then you can whizz round the back of Guys by turning off at Snowfields and then on to Newcomen St. It comes out a little way down Borough High St and you can then turn right to join back up with Southwark Street. So much quicker!

This one doesn't always work Scott. There is about a 10 second green phase at the junction of Newcomen and BHS, which is fine if there are half a dozen black cabs ahead of you, they will take off like scalded cats at the blink of an amber, but civilians tend to have slower reactions and you could be stuck in Newcomen almost as long as you'd be in Stainer on some occasions. Incidentally just when you thought that it was safe to enter and exit London Bridge station, a new hole has been dug in the nearside lane of BHS opposite the station entrance, meaning long queues again to exit the station by turning right on to London Bridge.
Wednesday 5 August 2009 7.28am
Why doesn't TfL allow traffic from BHS to turn right at Duke Street Hill and allow traffic to flow West along St Thomas Street instead...seems perfectlt feasible and almost logical to me IMHO.

And I've got to agree with Tom about the Newcommen Street short cut....it may work outside of when the heaviest flows of traffic are happening but during the morning it can be a nightmare.
Wednesday 5 August 2009 8.00pm
urbanite wrote:
Why doesn't TfL allow traffic from BHS to turn right at Duke Street Hill and allow traffic to flow West along St Thomas Street instead...seems perfectlt feasible and almost logical to me IMHO.
And I've got to agree with Tom about the Newcommen Street short cut....it may work outside of when the heaviest flows of traffic are happening but during the morning it can be a nightmare.

Even if it did occur to TFL to do what you suggest urbanite, as soon as they realise that it is a LOGICAL solution it would come off the table!
The mayor's traffic adviser was interviewed on Radio London by Eddie Nestor today and he clearly stated, "we have to realise that although there has been a reduction in traffic since the inception of the CC, there is now the same, if not more, congestion than there was prior to it's inception." He is the traffic adviser and he can't see why! You couldn't make it up!
Saturday 8 August 2009 1.52pm
Shortcuts and changing banned right turns, time to find an alternative transport mode!

All not helped by the closure of Bermondsey Street Tunnel, Gemma, what does Co-ordinate mean?

Having thouroughly enjoyed the traffic free tunnel recently, anyone else consider off peak and weekend closure as a benefit?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: