SE1 stay

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 4 August 2009 8.41pm
Hi

We (2 adults and children currently aged 6 & 4) are staying in SE1 next week for 3 days. During our stay it will be our 6 year old son's 7th birthday. We'd like to take him out for his birthday and he'd particularly like to go to an Italian restaurant. Can anyone suggest a good Italian restaurant in the area that will be happy to accommodate children? We are staying at the Premier Inn in Park Street.

We planning to go to the Tower of London and London Eye; can anyone suggest any other attractions? We'd also like to take a trip on the Thames; any operators to use (or avoid!)?

Thanks
Masa
Tuesday 4 August 2009 9.34pm
The London Eye is fantastic no matter what the weather, Ive been up four times now with various visitors and everyone loved it so yes do it. When my oldest brother & his charming wife visited last year I told them we were doing the London Eye but had secretly booked the London RIB which leaves from behind the Eye and we did the London Eye the next day. Theyd done a rather pedestrian river cruise earlier that day so were thrilled to have an hour on a speedboat roaring up and down the Thames with a commentary verging on stand up comedy. Not sure if four is too young for the RIB though so why not do the Duck Tour instead or as well? Combination of land and river cruise on amphibian vehicle and kids love it, leaving from the closest road to the the Lond Eye just behind and the office to buy tickets is nearby too.

Hope you really enjoy London whatever you end up doing.
Wednesday 5 August 2009 8.42am
Go to Strada at More London, near Tower Bridge. Pretty much the best views of any restaurant in London, and the (Italian) food is v good too. Make sure you book tho....
Wednesday 5 August 2009 9.28am
What great taste your 6/7-year-old has!

Strada 's ok, but it is a bit chainy. If you want something very special, which mum and dad will love too, try Tentazioni. The food's amazing and all the staff are Italian. I took a friend and her three-year-old daughter there a few weeks ago and the charming waiters made a complete fuss of little Emily in the way that Italians do.

It's on a side street just beyond Tower Bridge, so you get to work up an appetite with a scenic walk along the river first. Their special lunch menu is a bargain.

http://www.tentazioni.co.uk/

No connection, etc etc.
Wednesday 5 August 2009 10.51am
I was going to suggest Strada too; Ask (just up by the Design Museum) is very family friendly (though is a chain but caters for kiddies), and if it is a lovely evening you can sit outside and enjoy the river views (but if it is a lovely evening you may have to wait for an outside table). Have a lovely evening!
Wednesday 5 August 2009 11.40am
La Lanterna is a great Italian Restaurant in Mill Street, on the other side of the street to Tentazione. We have been going there for years, our family loved it when they were young and are still great fans now.

The children might be too tierd to walk from your Hotel along the river front, but its just beyond Tower Bridge (RVI bus from near your Hotel I would imagine),past all the Bars and Restaurants on the river side and across St Saviour's Dock by a foot Bridge and turn right.

Beautiful views of the old Wharves, the old boats, Canary Wharf, Tower Bridge and then you are in Oliver Twist territory.. Jacob's Island.
Other things to see and explore in the area: H.M.S. Belfast, Tower Bridge Experience, a trip on a boat could take you to Greenwich or Canary Wharf etc...
Have a lovely time and a happy birthday to your son.

(The Duck Tour always looks fun too!
Thursday 6 August 2009 8.48am
If you want to go with kids then you can't beat Strada - they are really nice with my kids when we go there. Look on the web for 2 for 1 meal vouchers - makes a very cheap meal out.

Kids love the Imperial War Museum - it's also free. Great submarine to play in and planes to look at.
Thursday 6 August 2009 9.20am
nomad wrote:
La Lanterna is a great Italian Restaurant in Mill Street, on the other side of the street to Tentazione. We have been going there for years, our family loved it when they were young and are still great fans now.

I second La Lanterna, great food and kid friendly.
Thursday 6 August 2009 2.50pm
Another one for Strada and then go watch the free theatre at the Sccop
Saturday 8 August 2009 12.59pm
Strada is a British high-street chain. The food sounds like its Italian but it isn't.

La Lanterna is better. The food is pretty good by British standards but I'd be a little disapointed if it were in Italy.

Tentazioni is Italian and the food is by far the best of the three. This is no matter of opinion - it's a concrete fact. Tentazioni is one of the best and most authentic Italian restaurants in London. This is reflected in the price. I have eaten there when there have been well-behaved children and the staff dote on them (They're Italian after all!).

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: