Thames path at new Blackfriars entrance

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 7 August 2009 8.59am
If I understand correctly, the Thames Path at/under the south end of Blackfriars Bridge will now be closed in Sept (having been postponed) so they can construct the new entrance to Blackfriars station on the south bank.

Does anyone know whether that closure is permanent or temporary? Where will the Thames Path run at that point after the station entrance is built? The few pictures available make it look like the station entrance will be exactly where the current tunnel under the south side of the bridge is. Will it still be possible to walk through there? It looks like it could get very congested with pedestrians, esp at weekends. Not to mention the issues with cyclists which people have raised before. And will it even be possible if in fact there are ticket barriers etc etc?

http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk/cms/pages/view/40

I wonder if there's anyone out there from Network Rail or the developers or the council etc etc who has a detailed knowledge of what's going on.
Friday 7 August 2009 9.12am
The diversion via Hopton Street is temporary - but when the work is finished the path will run under the first span of the railway bridge, rather than under the brick arch.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 7 August 2009 3.32pm
Yes they will have to build a new cantilevered path over the river. I never understood why they couldn't do that first rather than close off the river walk.
Thursday 27 August 2009 6.17pm
The news story suggests Marigold Alley is step free. It isn't. And at the moment it is shut.

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/4068
Thursday 27 August 2009 6.54pm
Hasn't Marigold Alley only been closed while they are constructing a DDA compliant ramp to replace the steps?
Sunday 6 September 2009 4.21pm
Lang Rabbie, yes you are right, I wondered what they were doing.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: