More Historical Brain-Picking!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
M.Caw Sunday 9 August 2009 8.49am
Thanks so much to Mr. Wale, Mr. Hatts and longlaner for their previous efforts in helping me locate The Waleran Flats building on Old Kent Road!

I've now got a few new mysteries that have me pounding my head against the wall ...

In 1888, my Greatgrandfather's sister got married at "St. Michaels, Southwark". I've looked just about everywhere and no church shows up with that name. I can find several St.Michael's: one listed for Sultan Street, another for Lant Street and a third for Nunhead Street, but they've all got longer names affixed to them. Does anybody know what happened to St.Michaels Southwark? Has it been renamed or demolished?

Then, as if that weren't enough ... the Groom, who was born and raised on Barron's Place, lists his address, at marriage, as simply "Midons Buildings". The curate who filled out the Marriage Certificate had nightmarish handwriting and its hard to say what it was that he actually wrote. "Midons" is about as close as I can get - and that's with a magnifying glass under strong light!

I've also just received the Bride's father's birth certificate for 1840 and he was born at "12 Princes Buildings", Lambeth, sub district: Waterloo 2nd Part.
Any ideas where this one might have been?

When I went to Barrons Place on Google Street View, it didn't allow me to 'drive' down the street. Instead, it whisked me in one jump from one end to the other. I was able to look down it, however, and, although it appears to be predominantly newer buildings now, I was able to discern several very old brick structures on it that might have stood in place since the 1800s when the Groom's family lived there (for decades upon decades!) They lived at #20. Might any of those old buildings be that address? If anyone reading this lives nearby that spot, would you consider taking a look for me when you find the time?

Thanks to everybody who takes the time to read this - and best wishes!

M.Caw
Massachusetts USA
Auntie Pat Monday 10 August 2009 12.57am
Hi M.Caw,

there is a map of London parish boundaries from 1877 on this link:
parish boundaries map

If you scroll down to south of St Saviour's parish, you will see a tiny St Michael's parish just to the east of St George the Martyr. This must be the Lant St parish you mention as that street runs through it. I don't think the church is there anymore. Any parish registers will have been deposited at the London Metropolitan Archives.
Hope this helps!
Possel Monday 10 August 2009 12.26pm
There is a useful site from the Diocese of Southwark to find old churches in Southwark http://www.southwark.anglican.org/where/lost-churches, which gives this helpful detail for the one that you want: http://www.southwark.anglican.org/downloads/lostchurches/SOU21.pdf. The church was demolished recently but unfortunately there is no photo.
beetroot Monday 10 August 2009 12.44pm
On this list titled The 1891 London Census Transcription Prince's Buildings were on Waterloo Road. I can't see them on Streetview so presumably gone.

St. Michaels was, as Possel says, demolished recently, only a few years ago. It was a lovely little church. Such a shame greed always wins. This ridiculous piece of crap has replaced it, and people are they're living in it!
James Hatts Monday 10 August 2009 12.53pm
There's a before and after picture of St Michael's here:

http://www.lantstreet.org/memorylane.html

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
M.Caw Wednesday 12 August 2009 4.17am
WOW! Its just like Christmas morning! I'm dazzled and delighted with all these great responses!

Thank you, Auntie Pat!

Thank you, Possel!

Thank you, beetroot!

Thank you (again), Mr. Hatts

I'll be busy for awhile opening my presents!

Best Regards to all!

M. Caw
Graeme Sunday 6 March 2011 4.14am
I have only just noticed your posting. I thought you might be interested that my father was born at 115 Waleran Buildings in 1894.
M.Caw Sunday 6 March 2011 7.55am
Hi Graeme

It's a small world, isn't it? What do you want to bet that my family knew yours? They lived fifteen flat numbers apart (#115 to #130) and both my Great Grandmother and your Grandmother were pregnant - how could they not have known each other - or, at least, known about each other? My Grand-uncle was born in May of 1894, right in the middle of the year.

Life never ceases to surprise and amaze me.

Thanks for posting your message. I really appreciate knowing what you've told me. It just goes to show me that life is chock full of invisible connections that we never suspect are there - until we trip over them, by accident.

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions