Supersaver Express Borough High Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 9 August 2009 2.14pm
I would like to warn you lovely SE1 residents re a nasty and concerning incident in SuperSaver Express 223 Borough High Street SE1 1JD. At approx 11.30 pm Aug 8th 09. It is the one op. Borough Tube.

I was in the shop and went to pay with my switch card. The total came to 5.99. The server said the minimum was 7.00. I said there was nothing to indicate that at the till and I thought the min. was 5.00. However I selected another item and my goods came to 7.0.8. The server than put through the transaction I put my pin in. It said Pin OK. Then a note came up Telephone Offline. The server said . THERE IS SOMETING WRONG WITH YOUR CARD YOU STUPID B***H, GET MONEY FROM THE CASHPOINT ( IN THE SHOP THAT CHARGES). I told him look it is not my card, it is your telephone offline, you need to go online.
His colleague took out my card put it in again and the same thing happend, it came up telephone offline. The server continued to scream at me and wave his arms. I asked him to stop doing that. He took my switch card and put through the transaction again, this time the machine was back on-line. As I went through the process I noticed I was being charged 17.00 . I quickly pressed cancel. And asked why are you charging me for 17.00 when my goods are 7.08. He became more agressive. and said SEVENTEEN POUNDS IS MINIMUM CHARGE. I said you said it was 7.00, why are you charging me 17.00? He became increasingly aggressive towards me and statred sceaming GET OUT OF THE SHOP. I said I wanted to speak to the manager, his collague said he was not there and to come back at 2am the next morning. I asked will the manager be here then and he said NO THE SHOP WILL BE CLOSED. And they started to laugh. I asked for the managers name, they refused to give it . I asked for their names they refused to give them. Then the server started to scream at me WHO ARE YOU GIVE ME YOUR NAME. I said you can have my details. He screamed WHERES YOUR ID. I showed him several pieces of ID and reiterated there was no problem in him having my details. He then shouted YOU ARE NOTHING IN HERE. YOU ARE JUST A CUSTOMER.. He continued to refuse to give any name or contacts. In the meantime his colleague put through the transaction for 7.08. The original server then screamed GET OT, GET OUT over and over gain in the most agrressive way. I told them I was reporting them to trading standards.

Apart from the threatening nature which was horrible, the server was purposfully trying to overcharge me. I have heard other people have had bad expereinces in this shop, but non so agressive.

I rang the shop today to try to speak to the manager,
the person answering would not give their name, said he did not know the manager and put the phonedown on me!

I have sent an email today to Southwark Trading Standards.
I rang th
Sunday 9 August 2009 5.27pm
Have a read of this article re using cards in corner shops, petrol stations and restaurants:
READ THIS
Common sense really.

I would never use a card in a corner shop and always use the ATM's inside a bank to withdraw cash rather than the hole-in-the-wall. Mind you I have had cashback in Tesco/Asda/Sainsburys although I suppose they could just as easily use a dodgy terminal.
Sunday 9 August 2009 11.23pm
Quite apart from the potential for fraud, this must have been a horrible experience, Terri-Ann. I hope Trading Standards are able to help. Let us know what they say.
Monday 10 August 2009 9.31am
Thank-you Both. Yes in hind sight ( that golden vision) I should just gone to a cash point first.
I also realise now that the aggression/agro caused was so I did not notice how much he had put through on the transaction. He was making only a tenner out of it, but if he does that ten times a day, it is worth his while. Also if it was a vast amount 100 + it is something you are more likely to notice on your statement. I also forgot to add to the post when the transaction eventually ( by his colleague) went through, for 7.08.. The server swooped across the counter and tried to grab it out of my hand so I had NO copy. I pushed him away. He also did not give me a receipt for the cancelled transaction! Or a till receipt for the goods!
Any way lets see what Trading Standards say?
Thanks very much for your responses.
Monday 10 August 2009 11.21am
Terri-Ann that's horrible to hear - what a nasty experience. I've always tried to buy a few items (the odd newspaper) here as it's my local shop and you should support it or lose it. I will think twice now!

Trading Standards usually deal with weights and measures (ie bars under-pouring), unsafe products and underage/illegal sales so may not be able to do very much about this.

However this shop does require a licence to sell alcohol and (I think - it used to be required) to trade late.

It might be arguable that this shop is not suitable to sell alcohol or open late given the irresponsibility of its staff.

It is a requirement for licensed premises to have available (and display the name of) the Licensee and the Designated Premises Supervisor, ie the person responsible for alcohol sales at any given time. That they wouldnt give you the name of the manager would seem to be in contravention of their alcohol license.

You may want to consider reporting your concerns to the Southwark Licensing Team. Details are at http://www.southwark.gov.uk/BusinessCentre/Licensing/ReportingaPremises.html
Monday 10 August 2009 11.38am
Many Thanks, I will get in touch with the licencing dep.
Best wishes
Monday 10 August 2009 11.54am
Well done for staying calm, Terri-Ann. It seems they know how to get someone flustered but it didn't work. I've only ever found them to be indifferent / mildly rude in there, but then I'm a man. Maybe I should send my friend Amanda in there. They wouldn't get past 'stupid b***h'.
Monday 10 August 2009 11.59am
Thanks Beetroot, Yes I think it was that was the intention, to distract. I have reported them to Licencing as well, on truthmonkey's wisdom.
Monday 10 August 2009 12.29pm
Found their licence for alcohol and late trading:

http://licensing.southwarksites.com/LicPremisesGrantedDetails.asp?systemkey=9007

Which lists such conditions as:

341 - A Personal Licence holder must be on the premises at all times when intoxicating Liquor is supplied

101 - Every supply of alcohol under the Premises Licence must be made, or authorised by, a person who holds a Personal Licence.

100 - No supply of alcohol may be made under the Premises Licence - a.At a time when there is no Designated Premises Supervisor in respect of the Premises Licence; or b.At a time when the Designated Premises Supervisor does not hold a Personal Licence or h is Personal Licence is suspended.
Tuesday 1 September 2009 11.06am
Update for those who were so helpful.
Licencing visited Supersaver Express, they found their licence and details were displayed , but they were behind the till in a location difficult for anyone to see. The servers certainly did not direct me to that and there is no way you can see it from behind the counter customer side. They were warned about this, however the Licencing officer said as it was actually on display, they could not prosecute. ( seems lame if you can't see it, but hey-ho)
Trading standards never responded to my emails ( got read receipts) re the trickery and the switch card transaction.
So hopefully the Licencing visit will be enough to shock them into changing their ways.
Thanks to all who helped.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: