SE1 solicitor for will

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 10 August 2009 9.41am
Can anyone recommend a local solicitor who's done them a good job on drawing up a will, please?

Thanks.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 10 August 2009 10.39am
Try Baldwins on Jamaica Road, he isn't too bad.

Otherwise, Glazer Delmar in Peckham do a fixed fee will - I saw an ad in the SOuth London Press on Friday. This will be for a straightforward will though.

Be very careful though as lots of other firms of solicitors charge on a time basis and so even the most straightforward of wills can cost 250 or even more. Really you should look to pay no more than 100 plus VAT for the preparation of a will.

BTW - Although I work for a law firm, I work for neither Glazer Delmar nor Baldwins and have no association with either. My firm would charge you about 500 for a will which is why I'm not recommending them!
Monday 10 August 2009 11.25am
Thanks for that, Gavin. Much appreciated.

If anyone else has any recommendations, they'd still be most welcome. Especially if they're based on personal experience.

(And if people are happy to give an indicative rough price, that would be even better, although I entirely understand that people might not want to discuss cash on open forum.)

Monday 10 August 2009 12.21pm
Hi Ivanhoe, can you wait a few months until November? I used Will Aid which is a charity that you make a donation to instead of paying the solicitor.

http://www.willaid.org.uk/
Monday 10 August 2009 12.29pm
Hi Juanita. Thanks for the Will Aid link. Interesting...

Monday 10 August 2009 1.06pm
Alternatively, you could always buy a will from WH Smith or the post office and fill it in yourself...

I think they cost about 3 - 4!
Monday 10 August 2009 4.00pm
Gwynaethva wrote:
Alternatively, you could always buy a will from WH Smith or the post office and fill it in yourself...
I think they cost about 3 - 4!
Appreciate the thought, but it's not for me. I'm looking for a solicitor.

Monday 10 August 2009 6.13pm
I too work in the law. Depending on what type of will you want (i.e. how large your estate is so that you may need to think about tax saving or you have many legacies you want listed) I would say a high street firm will charge you in the region of 150-300 plus VAT. If you are married or have a view of doing so, many firms offer a discounted price for the drafting of two wills.

Do NOT draft your own will, have it done by a qualified solicitor (not a will drafting company either)and when it has been drafted, they may offer to hold on to it for you in their strong room, I would recommend that you allow them to hold it (as long as they don't charge for this service) and take certified copies home with you (make sure a person you trust knows where you keep the copy as it will have the address of the firm on it should anything happen).

i would say that high street firms tend to have fixed fees for services such as wills and conveyancing. Do not use anyone who charges time for such a simple task.
Monday 10 August 2009 8.22pm
this is interesting. i know one can buy a "will kit" from a high street retailer for a few pounds, so what is the difference? surely whatever you write, and as long as it is signed in accordance with the law, then why should people pay hundreds of pounds to a solicitor. i guess it depends on ones personal circumstances, but in the simplest case, does anyone know if the "shop bought" ones are adequate?
Monday 10 August 2009 9.04pm
Last Will and Testament of phoney.
Being of sound mind, I spent the lot.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: