£3.95 for a slice of Cheese???

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 10 August 2009 3.47pm
Inspired by the flake post I have to write about my indignation at being charged 3.95 for one thinly small cut slice of halloumi cheese at The Real Greek on bankside two weeks ago. I live on tooley street and walk past a few times a week. Visited with my boyfriend for dinner and was shocked speechless when our halloiumi arrives and was one small piece - LITERALLY! - I took it to the manager and said I was not going to pay 4 for one slice and she looked at me like I was mental. Never going back there again...shame as it smells so nice and i love greek food
Monday 10 August 2009 5.56pm
Cheese - over rated, over priced.
Monday 10 August 2009 6.05pm
Yep - sounds like a cheesy place to charge that for some old milk.
Tuesday 11 August 2009 9.22am
That is outrageous. Safe to say that the Southbank location is there to trap the tourists, but no wonder London can be perceived as poor value. (ie it's not so much the price, its what you get for your money!) Besides which, they should recognise they have a significant local market who don't want to be ripped off either!

Julia, have you contacted The Real Greek about this? I see on their website in the Contact Us Section:

"We are constantly trying to improve your experience, so please contact our managing director Liz Williams with any feedback that you have to help us achieve this." (If you click on her name you get a email address link)

I'd also be inclined to highlight the SE1 forum... ie you may be just one dissatified customer, but you've rather productively put a few others off too!

(I clearly seem to feel rather passionately about this this morning :) )
Tuesday 11 August 2009 9.27am
The Real Greek is one of those nice idea yet poorly executed set ups...
Tuesday 11 August 2009 12.14pm
graham wrote:
Cheese - over rated, over priced.

...don't you mean over grated???

;o)
Tuesday 11 August 2009 12.27pm
I was also disappointed when I went for a company leaving do a month ago on a beautiful day (5 people plus 1 child). I could only book through their internet site, no telephone No. is available. I specifically requested a table outside for 5:30 in their comments box and when we arrived, we were told it was not available.
It took ages for teh wiaters to acknowlege us. By then we could have sat outside but they refused. Then they they came back that they had already run out of 3 items , calamari, sparkling water and I don't remember the last one. I thought that was weird at that early time of the evening. It took them 3 hours to serve us and the food was just ok. The Greek coffee was not good at all. So all in all, I would not go back again due to their lack of attention to their customers.
Tuesday 11 August 2009 2.39pm
The Real Greek was fantastic when first started by Theodore Kyriakou and only had a few branches but it was sold onto Clapham House in 2004 and went downhill very quickly. It's now described as a 'concept' and all about the brand and profit.

I thought the Bankside one was good during the first year or so but the food and service are dreadful now. Their only achievement seems to be getting people to go there once, easy enough with tourist trade, but surely a measure of real success is to have a loyal band of regular customers.

Go to Theodore's new place More on Tooley Street for the real thing.
Tuesday 11 August 2009 5.04pm
One of my daughters works in a west-end theatre and one day last week she bought her lunch at a certain bagette bar. It consisted of a small to medium sized cheese bagette and an orange juice. Price, 8.98. Unususally for her my daughter queried the price when she was given her change and asked the person who served her to break it down. She was told rather tersley that the bagette was 5.99 and the fresh orange juice was 2.99. My daughter pointed out that the so called 'fresh' orange juice had written on the side, 'from concentrate.' She said that the price for the two iems was ridiculous and asked for her money back. The person responded by saying, "well, you've already paid, so just leave." My daughter is not confrontational by nature and it was out of character for her to even query the price and ask for her money back. But the other person was of an opposite disposition and so she did just leave. She will not be going back to that particular outlet. Not that I suppose the owners care about that. If they can catch everybody once with that kind of mark-up, then they will be doing very well.
Wednesday 12 August 2009 2.21am
maybe i am being a bit paranoid , but have definately noticed over the years whilst i wander round the west end that staff in takeaways ,cinemas and so on around places like leicester square quite often "forget" you gave them a 10 note and give you change for a 5 or "didn't realise" that the food or item you just bought was actually reduced in price and so on ....paranoia could say that certain people serving might be accidently thinking that everyone they serve is a tourist and won't notice.... ;)
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: