"Dangerous Tree" in Potters Fields?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 10 August 2009 6.25pm
Hello all,

I've had a look and couldn't find this topic covered anywhere so was hoping someone in here might know: Just what is so dangerous about the 'dangerous tree' that's roped off on the right side of the path going into Potters Fields from Tooley Street? I wondered if it might be a particularly contagious tree disease but the overhanging branches and the dangly seedy flowery things (sorry, technical term) are still easily accessible so I'm stumped, if you'll pardon the pun...

It doesn't look particularly menacing. There are no obvious signs of anything having been done to the tree, I couldn't see any injection scars, drilled holes, netting or even any noticeable pruning. It just seems to be on the naughty step with a rope blocking off the neighbouring path offshoot and a sign saying "Dangerous Tree", for a few weeks now.

Does anyone know what the poor tree is accused of?

Cheers all,
Tuesday 11 August 2009 11.01am
Contact the tree officers at Southwark Council's Environment team if you think it is being removed needlessly.

Or the managing agent for MoreLondon who I think manage that park.
Tuesday 11 August 2009 11.08am
No, More London doesn't manage the park - it's the Potters Fields Park Management Trust.

I'd also seen the fenced off area and wondered the same thing.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 11 August 2009 1.39pm
Stephen Cornford, chief exec of the Potters Fields Park Management Trust, has been in touch to say:

"On 24 July a large branch fell off about half way up. We called in our tree experts and they said there was clear signs of rot in the tree and suggested either very dramatic pollarding or felling due to the poor state health. We also contacted Southwark's tree officer who agreed with me that the best solution was to fell the tree, as pollarding would only be a temporary solution before its final demise, it would look ugly having one pollarded tree in that area and it would be safer. The tree well be felled on Wednesday. We plan to replace the tree in the autumn/winter."

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 11 August 2009 10.14pm
Wow- thanks guys! You are the fountain of knowledge! Poor tree tho hey? Rotting from the inside like that? Nasty way to go...

Thanks a mint for the info James,

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: