80 year old father (orphanage in Union Street)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 13 August 2009 8.56pm
All the family are bringing my 80 year old father to London from Newcastle, as he wants to visit the area where he was brought up in an orphanage, before his days are up!! can anyone help me, he says the orphanage was in Union street, he mentions Blackfriars, Chalk house and also that he was often left at bedlam park. Not much to go on but i suppose it was over 60 years ago. Any info no matter how small would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday 13 August 2009 9.10pm
I wonder if this in any way would be connected with the Ragged School? Anyone?
Thursday 13 August 2009 9.15pm
There has been a bit of activity on the Walworth website recently about a young children's home known as the 'Hollies.' Just a thought.
Thursday 13 August 2009 9.16pm
Bedlam park is now Geraldine Mary Harmsworth Park

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 13 August 2009 10.50pm
I can't find anything about an orphanage on Union Street, but could it have been what is now Jerwood Space ? It used to be Orange Street School. I can't find any suggestion that it was ever an orphanage though.
Thursday 13 August 2009 11.57pm
I'd agree that The Ragged School seems like the most likely candidate in Union Street.

But what was in St Saviour's House (39-41) before it became the Association for Child and Adolescent Mental Health (new name from 2005 for the former Association for Child Psychology and Psychiatry).

I think the building on the other side of the street now occupied by the [Anglican] Southwark Diocesan Board of Education was previously the parish school?

The GenDocs site gives a list of institutions in the late 19th century. There were two very close to Bedlam Park in 1881

Orphanage Infirmary, West Square, London Road,
Orphans Home, South Street, London Road,
Friday 14 August 2009 12.41am
The union workhouse was on the site of what is now Southwark College in the Cut so the orphanage would have been nearby. London Metropolitan Archives would hold the records, if any. There is a really good site dedicated to workhouses and has lots of info on it - workhouse site
Friday 14 August 2009 8.22am
Chalkey, the Hollies is in Kent somewhere, not sure if Southwark still run/own the building.
Friday 14 August 2009 9.59am
Cheers, Jan. I didn't know that.
They've been trying to organise a reunion for former residents of the Hollies, but I don't think in any of the postings they actually mentioned its location. Then again, if you were a resident,then you would know the location, so the esotericism is forgiveable. (Blimey! Come out with one there haeven't I?)
I've not heard of the Hollies Children's Home myself, but as it was on the Walworth website I put two and two together and assumed it was somewhere in South-London. (Not for the first time, I've come out with five!)
Sorry Johnnyd, if I sent you up a blind alley.
Friday 14 August 2009 10.22am
Lo and behold, someone has just mentioned that the Hollies is in Sidcup. I suppose Sidcup is still in Kent. So many places that were 'a day out in the country' when I was a kid are now classified as 'London.'
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: