Bicycle tyre replacement on a Sunday morning

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
TAK
Saturday 22 August 2009 7.42pm
Does anyone know where I can have a bicycle tyre replaced on a sunday morning right there and then?

Ideally right at the Elephant or nearby.
I know of recycle but not that keen on them lately.
Had work done in the London Cycle Repair store on Hatfields recently and was very happy with them but unfortunately they're closed on sundays...

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Saturday 22 August 2009 8.00pm
halfords on OKR
Saturday 22 August 2009 8.30pm
On Your Bike on Tooley Street is open 11am-5pm and they will probably do it for you for the price of your soul, if that's not too far.
Saturday 22 August 2009 8.52pm
There's the bike workshop at the Northern end of Crampton St saw it today at about 5pm, not sure of opening hours poss Thursday, Friday & Saturday 3pm - 6pm. For tools & advice & practical help.
Saturday 22 August 2009 9.30pm
There's also the new repairs place in a railway arch at 18 Druid Street (by the skate park).

They're advertising a bike sale this weekend, so it seems that they're open tomorrow:
http://www.gumtree.com/london/25/44194825.html

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
TAK
Sunday 23 August 2009 10.48pm
Thanks so much for everyone's response and being so helpful!
I had it fixed at this repair place on 18 Druid Street.

As I found a mobile nr. on the Gumtree add linked by James I was able to call this guy at 10.30 in the morning. He said he'd open at 11 but had already an appointment but if I were to arrive for 11.30 he would be able to fix it right there and then. And that's precisely what he did - 15 minuets later I cycled home. Fantastic!

Somehow quite unusual an experience in London I think - straight forward and no nonsense etc.

Thanks again to everyone.
Monday 24 August 2009 6.16am
How much did it cost?
TAK
Monday 24 August 2009 11.34am
I may not have been too clear actually - I had a flat tyre and needed the inner tube replaced, not the outer tyre.
I paid a tenner plus a small tip I gave him as I was and am so happy how quick and easy all was.
Monday 24 August 2009 12.00pm
Evans cycles charge 12-50 for a tube replacement. I took my bike back to Evans for a checkup and they wanted 75 so I came home, read the instruction booklets and once I got to know my sprockets from my cranks and derailleurs and learned not to overtighten my nuts, found basic maintenance is straightforward.
Why are there so many gears, bits and bobs on a general purpose commuting bike anyway. Mine has 24 gears and I've only ever used 3 around London.
Monday 24 August 2009 7.45pm
saw this comment on the new Guardian bike blog

" Us folks who do work in bike shops do use tyre levers. But only to get the tyre off the rim. Never ever, ever use a tyre lever to put the tyre back on - especially that last little bit, because it will pinch the new or repaired tube, and you will be back to square one. You need to use your thumbs - and bicycle mechanic magic!

My recommendation is to a quality puncture resistant tyre, like a Schwalbe Marathon Plus or an Armadillo. These maybe slightly heavier than a regular tyre, but you will get far fewer flats if you use them. They cost a bit more (30), but with London cycle shops charging around 15 for a tube replacement, the investment soon makes sense

The other thing that many cyclists do not do is KEEP THEIR TYRES PUMPED UP HARD!

This simple act prevents many punctures, keeps the life of the tyres (and rims) greatly extended - and the ride is much better, with less, energy sapping, rolling resistance.

The little "3cm rubber enema tube" [in a puncture repair kit] is for the old fashioned Woods valves, which no-one uses any more. Except the Dutch. "

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/ethicallivingblog/2009/aug/14/cycling-puncture-facts
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: