Bicycle tyre replacement on a Sunday morning

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Zoe
Monday 24 August 2009 7.52pm
Quite a few people have recommended the Druid Street bike shop to me, I'm thinking of going there to get a second hand bike for Mr Zoe, is there anywhere else to try? I felt a bit put off by the place at elephant. What about the bike shop on Hatfields?

I will also go pump up my tyres...
Monday 24 August 2009 9.05pm
nowadays i only buy ex hire bikes - my theory being theyve been maintained since new by a pro and theyre not usually very old and still in a very roadworthy condition

well - ive had two nice ones so far

i think most bike hire places have a few for sale - but think its usually a fairly small selection at any one time

the place on Hatfields sells them from the Gabriel wharf London bicycle tour co
ive also seen some - again just a few - at a hire place on Strutton Ground at the top of Horseferry road in Victoria
but i think there are quite a few more cycle hire places if you look around

theyre usually quite realistically priced too
Monday 24 August 2009 10.56pm
re 24 gears

i recently tried finding out about bicycle gears - theres a fair bit to it and im nowhere near becoming an expert but from wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_gearing

FTA
"Note that with derailleur gears the advertised number of gears may be somewhat misleading. For example, a combination of 3 chainrings and an 8-cog cassette does not result in 24 usable gears. Instead it provides 3 overlapping ranges of 7, 8, and 7 gears"

also theres some stuff about preferred cadence and step (pedaling difference felt when changing gear) and avoiding knee strain

seems the gist of it is you should stick to whats comfortable to you and if you use the middle pedal cog most of the time you avoid extremes of big front to big back or small front to small back and you wont wear the chain so much and you can often get a similar gear using the middle anyway

you can actually count the cogs on your own bike to find out where the duplicates are and what your own bikes exact gear ratio is
http://www.whycycle.co.uk/gear_calculator/

so yeah - seems you dont really need to use that many of your gears - just stay on middle one and avoid chain wear

- i think that was right
Tuesday 25 August 2009 6.24am
Oh you're all so BRAVE! I so wish I dared cycle in London, but I feel sure I'd be laid low by a juggernaut in a nanosecond.
Tuesday 25 August 2009 6.39am
place on Newington Causeway (oppositethe courts, next to Truckpoint) is open Sundays as well.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 25 August 2009 7.07am
Cheers mick, I'll have a look at that gear calculator tonight. I suppose 24 possible combinations would be a better description and you don't want the chain running at an angle to avoid wear.
Zoe
Tuesday 25 August 2009 7.14am
I thought the same thing Jackie, and it put me off cycling for a long time, but you'd be suprised how easy it is, you just have to be sensible and not do silly things.

It's actually not that different from driving a car, and the person who took me for a lesson also said to behave like a small vehicle for road positioning etc (don't try to squeeze in at the side of vehicles or worry that you are holding people up, fill the road and make sure no one can miss you).

You'll also be suprised at how enjoyable it is, I'm a very unfit person, but I just gritted my teeth and kept going, even when I was really tired, and after a few weeks it got easier, which I suppose is me getting fitter!

Does your company do cycle to work? It's a good way to save money on a bike.
Tuesday 25 August 2009 4.28pm
graham wrote:
There's the bike workshop at the Northern end of Crampton St saw it today at about 5pm, not sure of opening hours poss Thursday, Friday & Saturday 3pm - 6pm. For tools & advice & practical help.

This is the bike workshop that's part of the Fareshares Food co-op + 56a Infoshop at 56 Crampton St, SE17, behind The Elephant roundabout, south side.

It's run by volunteers who can show you how to fix your bike for free. They have free recycled bike parts and some new stuff for cheap (like inner tubes, cables etc). It's open Wed 3-7, Thur 2-8, Fri 3-7 and Sat 2-6pm but as it's volunteer run sometimes it misses a shift but less than often than you would think.

A great resource and a good way to learn how to keep your bike maintained without forking out for someone else to do it.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network