Christmas party planning in SE1!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 24 August 2009 1.54pm
Hello SE1ers!

I haven't worked long in Vauxhall but I have the difficult task of arranging my work Christmas party this year and I'm starting early! I have a budget of approx 8pp and 100 people to look after so really I was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere in the area with free room hire that they would recommend.

Thanks v much
Wednesday 26 August 2009 7.17pm
I dont think your going to get much for 8pp in London.
Thursday 27 August 2009 4.21am
RJ83 wrote:
Hello SE1ers!
I have a budget of approx 8pp and 100 people to look after so really I was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere in the area with free room hire that they would recommend.

Thanks v much

The very best of luck RJ83.
You mention that you haven't worked long in Vauxhall, I'm not surprised if you are expecting to organise a Christmas bash for 100 people for 800 quid.
Where were you working before, at the end of the Yellow Brick Road with Dorothy and Toto?
Please don't take this the wrong way, I presume that you're having a laugh and I'm just joining in the fun.
Thursday 27 August 2009 9.12am
We clearly have a lot of people who have never worked in the public or voluntary sector! Some organisations cant afford or cant justify spending much more than that on Xmas bashes. Though if you get free room hire you're well on the way to having a cheap and cheerful do.

RJ - I've hired out Stamford Arms, Doggetts and Imbibe (or bars in them) for free for Xmas parties over the years and they always worked out pretty well (there has always been a minimum bar spend but that hasnt proved a problem if you get there early enough). I dont think any of those bars are very convenient to where you work though.
Thursday 27 August 2009 9.44am
It *can* be done - but it will take more work than a big budget.

You could trawl through all of the bars listed on this site and find one that will let you have a room for free - for example near our building 232 and Imbibe have done so in the past. You will need to guarantee a minimum bar spend. You could perhaps ask them to put on a few nibbles (200-300) and then spend the remainder of your budget on wine (don't offer anything else) after that it's a pay bar.

People are often happy to contribute though - so you shouldnt discou8nt that option. We paid 15 towards our Christmas lunch two years ago, which had a similar budget to yours. We went to Tiger Tiger in Soho, had an perfectly ok Christmas lunch, 3 glasses of wine each and then a pay bar in their basement club area.

You usually get a better deal if you are prepared to come at a usually quiet time - 15:00 can make your budget go a lot further and means people fade away mid-evening having had a great time.
Thursday 27 August 2009 10.04am
Last time I enquired at the Dogget the minimum spend for the terrace bar was around 2000, but I am not sure what they require for the other bars
Thursday 27 August 2009 10.38am
Tattie wrote:
Last time I enquired at the Dogget the minimum spend for the terrace bar was around 2000, but I am not sure what they require for the other bars

I'm struggling to remember but I'm pretty sure Doggetts had the highest minimum spend of the ones I've used in the past.
Monday 31 August 2009 11.10pm
It's August for f's sake! While not unsympathetic to your plight (and boy are you plighty with that budget in central London) lets keep Christmas in December because when it starts in August everyone is heartily sick on it by September.

I don't care what QVC do.
Tuesday 1 September 2009 10.53am
Davies wrote:
lets keep Christmas in December

While I sympathise with the sentiment anyone leaving it to December to organise a Xmas party without much of a budget is going to have a very difficult time of it.
Tuesday 8 September 2009 9.19am
There are a few Options - speak to local pubs - maybe a Wetherspoons and see how much it'd cost to book out, It's probably not too much and they could throw in food and drink.

Otherwise booking a venue like a Tenants Association Hall might be a good idea - and very cheap. They offer a good size space you can 'dress' quite simply. Get your drink from a discounter like Lidl/Aldi and then assess how much you'll have for catering - there maybe alternatives there too.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: